Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Major font problem on viewed website

Its been a long time since I had a glitch with Pro+. I downloaded the most up to date version and started to work. I use the Open-sans font a lot. Looks good on a couple of variants. I've included screen shots of Pro+ with open sans, the preview from within the program, and what it looks like on a website. Check the "Mail In Campaign Underway" Its bold and hardly readable after uploading. I've checked all the styles - nothing extraordinary. Variants are Open Sans 18.
    The puzzling thing is Open-sans text done before the Pro+ upgrade is fine. Wondering if anybody has some suggestions. I could try a new font? Can't figure it out.

site - www.northeastspca.org

Update - changed the font in question to 'arial' and no problem. But I hate arial.

Thanks all for comments.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	web view.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	197.5 KB 
ID:	131722   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	open sans 14 preview.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	226.7 KB 
ID:	131721  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	open sans 14.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	269.9 KB 
ID:	131720  
    Bill Wood
    Charity Web Design
    XARA Pro+. WD17, Designer 17. Premium packages.

Default Re: Major font problem on viewed website

Hi Bill,
    I just created a test page using Arial & Open Sans fonts.
    The one using Open Sans created the following error when inspected. Don't know what it means but it's not present on the Arial font page:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EXPORT.png 
Views:	53 
Size:	93.1 KB 
ID:	131724  
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

It seems an long-standing issue with either Open Sans or FF. See here
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Thanks @egg. I concur. Arial and Tahoma are fine. The problem is in some sizes Open Sans is fine. I read something to do with kerning in your error generation.
    The problem is occurring on chrome and safari. What a mess. What a problem. Some of the fonts have actually defaulted to serif.

I wonder if this will effect any site I’ve made with Open Sans. This is just a smaller site. Can’t imagine the work ahead of me in one of my larger museum sites.
    Bill Wood
    Charity Web Design

Probably best to wait for a Dev to answer Bill. Might be worth putting in a ticket.
    Egg

I’m just trying to retrace my steps. Other than adding a slight animation to a couple of pages very straight forward. Other than the new update to Pro+ nothing new. I’ll try to duplicate the problem on a test sight as well.
    I believe it may have to do with the size of Open Sans. Anything above 72 points was trouble.
    I’ve converted most of the site in question to Verdana but it’s rather blah. I’ll send a ticket and see what happens. When Open Sans fails it swaps to the closest safe font (I think). I’m not a coder. Maybe @acorn will chime in.
    I just can’t see this site failing after 2 years. Well. Live and learn.
    Bill Wood
    Charity Web Design

Lightbulb Re: Major font problem on viewed website

Bill, I haven't encountered your difficulty or @Egg's but it is possibly browser version-specific Very strange if it is FF, Safari & Chrome as that just about covers everything.

As to a replacement San Serif font, have a go with Manrope, https://manropefont.com, it's free, with ligatures and is Variable.
    How well Xara can handle all these, I don't know but it falls back to legacy weights as well.
    A web-safe font is Verdana but it looks a bit dated:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Manrope.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	149.8 KB 
ID:	131726

Try using MS's Character Map UWP to best see differences.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Thanks @acorn. As I understand a bit of CSS. If I use Open Sans for headers, and verdana for smaller text, if the browser failed to load Sans, it would default to verdana. I’ve corrected most on the site in question with some really blah fonts, but I fear to open my larger sites in the updated Pro+. That being a museum site. Thanks for the Manrope.
    I’ll have to brush up on CSS. I just have no idea why the font just failed. I have very little animation. Added one drawing from the content catalogue, and only on specialized font called Splash. Must be careful in the future.
    Bill Wood
    Charity Web Design

Bill, it appears to be an Opens Sans kerning table issue, in that the size of the generated table is bigger than the browser can handle.

It is nothing to do with Xara.

What I think occurs is the greater the number of glyphs (characters with decoration and scale), the larger the kerning table becomes.
    Xara produces a WOFF2 compressed font file that allows custom fonts to be used rather than the just restricted webfonts.
    Storing the WOFF2 file in the design output saves a call to a remote CDN server (and avoids Google tracking IPs - in XPro+v21.8).

Your could probably check that the glyph total is reduced in the WOFF2 file, using FontForge. This is called subsetting.

The bottom line is Open Sans chokes browsers, so avoid.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Thanks @acorn. I can always depend on you. I’ll start to change Open Sans today and in the future. Glad it’s not Xara.
    Bill Wood
    Charity Web Design