Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hybrid View

Default Re: How to make a pop-up pop up

Hmm. Clearly I'm still doing something wrong. I deleted the mobile variant, created a new one and the mobile variant was indeed created with the various elements in various places, some in the new narrow page, others outside it..

The loudspeaker, text group and the placeholder and the ellipse were outside the page area when I tested the single page. They didn't play either automatically or on the trigger.

I dragged the speaker symbol and the text into the mobile page - same result.

Finally I dragged the widget and the ellipse into the page - and when I tested the page, once again the sound started as soon as the page opened.

It seems to me that I'm not being offered the option to play automatically or delay when the trigger is clicked but the action starts as soon as the page opens.

I've corrected all my Info(lock) stupidity also.

Thanks

Flip

Quote Originally Posted by flip View Post
    Hmm. Clearly I'm still doing something wrong. I deleted the mobile variant, created a new one and the mobile variant was indeed created with the various elements in various places, some in the new narrow page, others outside it..

The loudspeaker, text group and the placeholder and the ellipse were outside the page area when I tested the single page. They didn't play either automatically or on the trigger.

I dragged the speaker symbol and the text into the mobile page - same result.

Finally I dragged the widget and the ellipse into the page - and when I tested the page, once again the sound started as soon as the page opened.

It seems to me that I'm not being offered the option to play automatically or delay when the trigger is clicked but the action starts as soon as the page opens.

I've corrected all my Info(lock) stupidity also.

Thanks

Flip
    Flip,

I'll take a look later and get back to you - there is no reason it should not work, but I'll check later.

Gary

Flip,

OK - tried and tested the approach here: https://initiostar.co.uk/demo/variant_popup_test/ Design test file: Variant_Popup.xar

As before you will need to replace the audio widget with your own sounds - better if you try and test the function in a new document to satisfy yourself that it works before you implement it in your main site; a lot less hassle!

All I did was to create the desktop, create a variant, drag and resize objects to a fit a mobile format. I created a normal text style for the variant and added a simple background rectangle on the popup, else likely the popup may not be that clear if it resides on top of other content.

I would do the same with your gallery page too; test the desktop to mobile transition in a separate document; https://initiostar.co.uk/demo/simple_grid/ - this is I think the same format at your gallery page, using a grid of bulge animations.

Gary

Gary

Many thanks. I'll get to this first thing tomorrow and confirm that I can handle the tech.

I did test the gallery format - that works fine.

Very much obliged.

Philip

Gary

Thanks for your help.

Unfortunately, I still have the same problem with your new file after I delete your sound file and import my sound file - the test in XWD plays immediately the page opens and neither the sound file nor the explanation text appears. I assume I should be 'importing' the sound file?

Philip

flip, your sound file needs to be dropped onto the pop-up layer.

In the Page & Layer gallery, tick that layer, check it is visible and drag your sound file onto your design page.
    Reposition and size to fit.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Acorn,

Many thanks, I'm making progress, of a sort. I followed your suggestion thus: I selected the mobile version. I deleted the sound file that had been brought into position from the main version. I then dragged the sound file into position on the design making sure the pop layer was selected and visible. When I selected 'play automatically' the sound file started as the page was opened ie the original problem. I repeated the process selected 'don't start' automatically. When I tested this it didn't play when the page was opened but when the 'trigger' was selected the sound file, ellipse and message appeared but the sound file didn't play as it should have done - until I clicked on the sound file arrow.

I've adjusted the test frame several times and it appears that, apart from the different ways in which I've inserted the sound file into the layer (importing the main, dragging the mobile) the determining factor is the width of the test window.

FWIW I've tried changing the test browser from Microsoft to Firefox but that appears to make no difference. The performance varies according to whether I have the browser window wide or narrow.

I hope this helps.

Philip