Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
Path, your method is what I have used to separate out Variants generally.
My JavaScript was a little more targeted in that I parsed the current URL and altered the location for any page in the site, checking against the screen size on any change.

I took on work for a client where I am able to handle an ECWID presentation in Main and one Variant.
Basically, it is a case of detecting a viewport size change and taking the entire ECWID code and relocating it.

I am sure they won't mind the publicity as their products are worth trying.
The Mumbai Spice Club Shop page handles Main <--> Variant transitions seamlessly.

Xara hinted months ago of a possible change to adaptive websites.
My method has a number of Xara functional dependencies so, while robust, I have to keep monitoring for such changes.

In the next month I will be deploying a website of mamy of my Xara codings as a mostly free resource. One will be that for handling ECWID but it will be behind a modest paywall simply because both Xara and ECWID have said for years it could not be done.

Acorn
Dear Acorn,

Many thanks for your comprehensive reply. ECWID is a useful and functional way to integrate Ecommerce into a site with some ease. Given that Xara have a widget for using ECWID one might expect that they would warn users in the text for the widget, or in a knowledge article, about the impossibility of implementing ECWID in a single site with multiple variants, and perhaps even more helpfully how you might get round the issue.

I have no complaints with Xara about their product which is very good, nor any expectation that it can do more than it can do. It would just be helpful if known limitations were identified, rather than everyone new finding them by trial and error and Googling.

In any event, your response is excellent and much appreciated.
Kind regards,
Path