Nothing deceptive here.

You do not lose access to core features of the product when you are no longer covered by the Update Service. You lose access to the On-line Catalogue (online services) - which is not part of the program. If you had read the info and watched this forum where this has been discussed over and over and over, you would have known that you simply had to download all of the content from the On-line catalogue before the year was up. In fact, you should have done this anyways as it's much more convenient than going to the On-Line Catalogue every time that you want something. Pixabay stuff is not included, but you could have downloaded everything that you wanted before losing access. As well, I believe that you were warned that your Update Service was about to expire each time you opened Xara during the last month or so. I was.

I downloaded everything possible and I still have all of the content available in the Design Gallery, even though my update service expired on July 8, 2019 (as I am reminded of every time that I open Xara - grrrr).