Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Off-topic

Glad you are safe and sound

TANSTAAFL
    "If you can do good, you should."
    W.K. Clark

If you are interested in reading about how the US, Osama bin Laden and the Al-Qaeda terrorist network are interlinked go to http://www.janes.com and read the article:
    Why? An Attempt to Explain the Unexpainable by Rahul Bedi.

These words from the Lords Prayer have never meant as much to me as they do today. As I sit here writing this, tears again swell up and drop to my lap. I have been unable to think of anything else. I have been watching TV almost 24 hours a day, occassionally dropping off to sleep. But, there are some ideas I would like to share with anybody who will listen.

Individually:
    This war cannot be fought with bombs, it is more primal than that. It will be fought in hand to hand combat. It would behoove all of us to get some training in martial arts and self defense. I will be seeing about that this week.

Also, we have to stop being so complacent. We have to start paying attention to what is going on around us and report anything that appears extraordinary. Let's get to know our neighbors, invite them for small gatherings, dinners, etc. Know what is going on beyond your own house. Friendship is a powerful weapon against complacency.

The Air Lines
    Besides the security measures presently being implemented at the airlines, I believe thier attendants need to be trained in martial arts, self defense, as well as carry stun guns and hand cuffs. They need to have the tools to overtake anyone who displays any kind of threatening activity on the plane. Air martials are comforting for now, but they may not be enough and, if the past is any indication, they will not always be there.

Everyone on the planes needs to assume that highjackings are intended to result in death, not just to be driven to a certain destinations. The passengers need to be willing to assist attendants when there appears to be a problem.

Our armed forces:
    I agree with Raffon, bombing Afganistan is not the answer. America used to assist foreign governments and people who could not protect themselves, but we chose to stay out of Afganistan's fight. We chose to stay out of a lot of fights. We must start standing up for what we believe in, recognize tyrany and act to assist poor, undeveloped nations. Our country used to have a strong presence in other countries, but Americans decided they didn't want to pay the price for this, so we have been pulling out over the last 30 years. Now, we have to pay the price for invasion onto our own soil.

I don't know if any of this makes sense, but these are my thoughts. I was an Air Force Brat, an Air Force Wife, and an Air Force Mother. My son flys weekly and I fear for him. I was planning a trip in November, I was going to fly, I will probably drive now.

Remember "Lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil....."

Delta

I am happy to report that Allison Moore was in Boston, at the Corel Conference where we met face-to-face for the first time. She is not a traitor to Xara, she was there for the Ventura Publishing part of the conference :-)

She is fine and like most poeple, probably trying to get home.

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

<a href="http://home.earthlink.net/~garypriester">
    Be it ever so humble...</a>

Having just now had time to read through all the posts in this thread, I am proud of the way we as a tiny community have been able to come together and share our views.

(If anyone is interested, I posted a lengthy account of my long journey home at the end of the WebXealot 29 thread.)

I ask each person in this conference to respect the religeous beliefs of others and let each person express his or her feelings in the words and ways that work best for her and him.

We each need to process this disturbing imformation with whatever filters work best for us.

The reason for most of the conflict in the world historically and recently stems from the lack of respect for a person's indidual beliefs. This either has to stop, or we will ultimately solve the problem by blowing all of us off the globe.

If we can all agree to respect one another, and stand united as a small world-wide community, we will have made the tiniest step toward eliminating the primary cause of this senseless blood shed and loss of life: intollerance.

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

<A HREF="http://home.earthlink.net/~garypriester" TARGET=_blank>
    Be it ever so humble...</A>

[This message was edited by Gary W. Priester on September 16, 2001 at 11:08.]

Glad to have you back, Gary!

But as for your little liberal sermon, I will just say that the wishy-washy notion or "tolerance" as the solution to the world's problems is a confused **misidentification** - and I repudiate it.

Now let's all get some work done - don't let the terrorists stop us from "business as usual"!

K
    K
    www.klausnordby.com/xara (big how-to article)
    www.xaraxone.com/FeaturedArt/kn/ (I was the first-ever featured artist in the Xone)
    www.graphics.com (occasional columnist, "The I of The Perceiver")

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

<a href="http://home.earthlink.net/~garypriester">
    Be it ever so humble...</a>

It speaks for itself. Respectfully, John

How can toleration help in this situation? How can we force terrorists to tolerate the United States?

I'm glad the United States didn't tolerate Hitler.

rgremill: You are indeed onto something here!

K
    K
    www.klausnordby.com/xara (big how-to article)
    www.xaraxone.com/FeaturedArt/kn/ (I was the first-ever featured artist in the Xone)
    www.graphics.com (occasional columnist, "The I of The Perceiver")