Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Been so darned busy yesterday I totally missed this one.

Wow Maya!! Gorgeous work. I love the entire scene! OK, which critter is that?? A DAZ critter?? Looks like something out of Dinotopia or something. Noggins bird looks good in the scene, adds a nice element of focus to the piece considering it's size!! V3 looks good too!!

Soquili, I deal with a 56K dial up connection so I know where your coming from. It's all about making yourself useful around the house while downloading. I used to spend time just staring at the computer waiting, like that's going to make it go any faster!! If not house work then maybe type out some emails or a text doc or play with Xara X or something. It's doable but you got keep your mind off of how slow it seems to be going with the download process, that and a good download manager works wonders!!

Maya, what were your lighting settings?? I like this very much. In DAZ Studio there are tricks to getting the backgrounds to render correctly but I don't have the time to learn all that right now. Got a new cell phone (my first! ) manual to read!! So I guess it's Poser or bust for now! How long did that render take you by the way??
    Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---

Hi Richard! You were up pretty late posting it looks like -- I know how moving preparations, etc. can certainly keep one busy around the clock too -- whew!

I'm happy you like this one. Ya know I've never seen the Dinotopia stuff, I know there's a book and it has something to do with dinos and people at the same time, but I have never picked up a copy or looked at those images. I don't know if this dino or scene is kinda like Dinotopia (?) but the idea of this little dino maybe along those lines. Anyway this is the Tawhak and I loved it's features and everything about it--it is very expressive all around the face with eyes adjustable with expressions even, mouth, lips, nostrils, head crest and tongue fully posable too, the rest of the body also easily posable and the dino has elegant proportions and looks very alive. V3 had to be scaled down to 70% to fit properly or scale the dino up, but my scenery was rather vast in scale so I didn't want the characters so big I was stuck with only closeups. You could probably use Aiko with it very easily too if wanted. (I have the Dragon Princess in mind...that would maybe work.)

The lighting settings I'll have to email ya about as they are pretty complex -- let me know when I can email ya at your new place and I'll let ya in on how to do this if you want to. There's no way I could describe the settings in text here...but in spite of the complex lighting, the render time was (using the final Production setting and this was rendered with a dpi of 300 and a window image size of 800 x 600 I think it was) about 8 minutes. As I was just making a postable still image for forum use that's all I needed for here. I then made a forum sized one copied as .jpg "save for Web" in PS so the file size could be reduced as much as possible for posting. It showed pretty good detail even at such a small size for a 8 minute render like that, imo, but it can of course be made at much higher resolutions and sizes for printing. The background is a cyclorama so it's fully adjustable for positioning the characters within and you can get all sorts of camera angles in there and put the lighting wherever you like. I've added more vines, more plants could be added too but I didn't want the scene to get too heavy in geometry, (you could use PS for making the jungle even thicker though and have no extra geometry and render times)just looking for a quick image, it was a bit of a story idea I might continue with.

Well, like I said, let me know when I can email ya, and I'll pass along the lighting secrets. Thanks for looking at this one, Richard, and the comments! Take it easy over there with the moving.
    ---Maya
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do, so throw off the bowlines, sail away from safe harbor, catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, Dream, Discover."
    -Mark Twain

Great scene, Maya!

Love the lovely lady, on the lovely dino. This poser art is getting to be really advanced!

Almost makes me want to dig up my copy of Poser 4. Only (almost...) I had to uninstall - it was like crack cocaine (at least the way I imagine it being...) Never truly got in to it, as I never had an "aha!" experience. I could also never make the lighting look good - always too much like plastic. But still couldn't stop fiddling...

It's also more time consuming than people in general think, to make something worthwhile.

I do however enjoy everyone here bouncing ideas around!

Great stuff!

Thanks Risto!
    Could be they'll be advising me to post a "Disclaimer" soon -- hey, might as well...

"Warning -- viewing Maya's posts can be hazardous to your health and well being!"

Don't know how much longer I'll be here, but I've missed ya, didn't know you had an interest in 3D...thanks for the reply.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do, so throw off the bowlines, sail away from safe harbor, catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, Dream, Discover."
    -Mark Twain

Don't know how much longer I'll be here, but I've missed ya, didn't know you had an interest in 3D...thanks for the reply.
    Maya,
    Now what's THAT supposed to mean ... you going somewhere little lady

I like your little scene ... there is just something "finished" looking about a 3D scene, rather than a single object. I can't imagine how long that takes ... and don't have a clue what 3D artists do for a living ... much less a life I spend WAY too much time messing with the uninspiring 1-1/2D that I do ... just can't imagine.

I realize I am bumping the high end of ancient ... but what is with the armor on this chick? It looks like the model designers went to great lengths to capture realism in everything except the armor "not quite" covering the business end of these models. Am I old fashioned ... or were the Middle Ages a lot more exciting than I thought?

Originally posted by OklaEd:

I realize I am bumping the high end of ancient ... but what is with the armor on this chick? It looks like the model designers went to great lengths to capture realism in everything except the armor "not quite" covering the business end of these models. Am I old fashioned ... or were the Middle Ages a lot more exciting than I thought?
    Ah Ed, you have such a way with words!!
    Thanks for all your comments! Thanks also for the chuckles -- yeah, the Middle Ages were apparently a great deal more exciting than the dirty, brutish, and life-shortening era we've been taught of by the public education system it would seem, especially upon reflection of the modellers' creations... ...an outfit as skimpy as this one would perhaps have to be endowed with magical powers or she's gonna get some scratches for sure! But I've got some good ol' frumpy armor I can put her in, too, that really looks like it would do a proper job. The whole Joan of Arc job.
    This was fun though.

You can ask gidget (James) why they want me gone.
    ---Maya
    -Mark Twain

James (me, gidgit) does not know of anybody wishing you be gone... personaly, I love your art, and usually find you to be a wonderful spirit with endless passion and energy...

why they want me gone.
    No I don't think so, where are you going?
    I will be really bummed if you bail out.

why they want me gone.
    Maya!

Granted, I'm not a "they" as I'm only one person... but it was only mentioned after my post. I sincerely hope I didn't offend you somehow with my post - it was truly not my intention. And I have now read my post 10 times, and I can't see where I could have given the wrong impression.

Maya, you are a breath of fresh air whenever you post, and there is always have so much postive energy going around.

I second Mike's post!

No no Risto!!!! You have never ever said or done anything I would ever be offended by!!! You have always been one of my very favorite people I have the utmost admiration for!!!

My mistakes are my own. I really appreciate yours and Mike's comments about wishing me to stay, and I'm talking with James. Don't know what'll happen though. But thanks ever so much no matter how it turns out!!!
    ---Maya
    -Mark Twain