Wasps come after us when we're eating and drinking. They aren't put off by our presence or the fact that we're actually eating or drinking what they want. It's then that we are in danger of being stung. To a human, that's reason enough to shoo them off or kill them. Both species acting on instinct.

Our family was being pestered by wasps as we were sitting outside eating and drinking. One wasp went into my sandwich bag. It got shooed out. When I went to eat the sandwich, I discovered it had injected its venom into it. One mouthful was all it took to make my mouth sting for the whole afternoon, even though the venom had not been injected. I never got as far as swallowing the mouthful fortunately.

On another occasion of similar circumstances, there were wasps everywhere. I leant on the table (bare armed) not realising a wasp was there. Of course it stung me. My forearm was painful for a week or two after that one.

We had a wasps nest inside a flat roof. I tried to let it go because it was only nature afterall. In the end, we had wasps buzzing around indoors and out. The nest just had to be got rid of.

We can figure out why wasps might come after us (which they do) when we are outdoors but the upshot is they put themselves in our way, rather than the other way around.

If they leave me alone, I'll leave them alone. If they are buzzing around closely for whatever reason, measures are taken. If they come indoors, they mostly end up dead.