Why is it SolidWorks so expensive?

"Why is it so rubbish" is my first question! It is a monumental bloatware like nothing I have ever seen. The intallation files are 15GB. Yes GB! And the learning curve is horrendous. I have used some fairly similar CAD software (OnShape) but nothing is remotely obvious in SolidWorks. On the upside, "everything is possible" is also more or less true. (And at those prices you would certainly hope so!)

The SolidWbusiness model is that they suck you in as a student or (if you are lucky) as an startup. But once that expires you are on the hook for what, $4000+ per year?

Thereafter you sign up for thousands and thousands of £££ but you get basically unlimited amounts of support. But you absolutely need it because everything is SO counter-intuitive. And time is money! And also because all your suppliers use it. And having learnt you way around the software, that becomes a huge personal investment that you have made.... so then you don't want to invest your time & energy learning anything else!
Solidworks, may be bloated for YOU, but this software serves hundred thousands of engineers in various very different fields. Thus, it needs features for milling, turning, welding, sheet metal fabrication, rendering, and so on. It is a bit pricier than most of its competitors, but there are also way more expensive CADs. As far as I know, CATIA costs 30'000 bucks and more.

But back to your problem. I don't think any CAD can convert a drawing view to Nurbs or Bezier curves. I guess you have to live with all those tiny line segments. I think, if you scale up the drawing, you should also get a more precise curves (with even more line segments)
Line withs can be changed in the Solidworks Layers. I'm not shure though, if that has any influence to your output file.