Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default noobie problem - everything 'greyed' outside central pale yellow border line?

Hi all, I know this is probably really basic but I didn't spot anything in the manual - having used a template as a starter I have expanded/pasted a large chunk of text or pictures on the page(s), and now everything has an overlay/underlay of grey above and below this central yellow line 'box' where everything is still visible and normal. The box sits just outside the width of the webpage, like it was a page guide or something?. I can just about see to edit in the grey areas and it all works fine in the web preview, I just can't seem to grab/move/expand/get rid of this yellow edge thing so I can properly see 'beyond' it. Its late and I'm tired so it is bound to be something 'obvious' but not to me! PS have migrated from the old Serif so missing the highlighting of active object/layer.

Default Re: noobie problem - everything 'greyed' outside central pale yellow border line?

Not sure if I understand this. But if your concern is anything outside the page is not showing, in Web Properties > Website un-check Clip to Page Edges. This will show anything that is on the page or that overlaps the page. So anything that is touching the page. If something is not touching the page then it will not appear.

Default Re: noobie problem - everything 'greyed' outside central pale yellow border line?

Without seeing what's happening, I would guess that it might be something to do with layers.

Your pages have page board and pasteboard layers. You can put things there by dragging and dropping a certain way, and sometimes it can be by accident (meaning to put it on the mouseoff layer, for instance). The thing is, these layers are locked by default, so you can't grab anything on them. If you open up the page in your page & layers gallery, click the arrows to show the contents of each layer, and unlock either if you find the culprit, then you can delete the item. Another layer that tends to lock by default is the guides layer. And there's always the possibility that another layer is locked but visible... and you can see this by looking at the page & layers gallery.

Good luck.

Info Re: noobie problem - everything 'greyed' outside central pale yellow border line?

Quote Originally Posted by gcellison View Post
    Without seeing what's happening, I would guess that it might be something to do with layers.

Your pages have page board and pasteboard layers. You can put things there by dragging and dropping a certain way, and sometimes it can be by accident (meaning to put it on the mouseoff layer, for instance). The thing is, these layers are locked by default, so you can't grab anything on them. If you open up the page in your page & layers gallery, click the arrows to show the contents of each layer, and unlock either if you find the culprit, then you can delete the item. Another layer that tends to lock by default is the guides layer. And there's always the possibility that another layer is locked but visible... and you can see this by looking at the page & layers gallery.

Good luck.
    Taking your advice a step forward.

Open the Page & Layer gallery (F10).
    Check you are in Layers view: if not, double-click the blue background and the Buttons bar should open out and the Layers should appear.

• @Xara - yet another request to improve the UI has passed us by for another year. In Page view, there is NO INDICATION for the existence of a Layers view or even a Shortcut Key press.

Above the blue background to the top right are two naff icons: a stack of eyeballs and a stack of unlocked padlocks. Click both.
    • @Xara - again an INCONSISTENT UI, the unlock action does not unlock Page and Pasteboard backgrounds. One needs to click on the individual red padlocks.

Finally, depress the Locate button.

Now, you can click away on the design and discover which shape is where and have the ability to alter it, its attributes, its place and just delete it.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Hi all, thanks for thinking about this - it appears to be something really basic, I tried your very helpful layers/locks hint (will be useful in future!) with no joy so then by experiment I duplicated one of the pages and removed all objects item by item - even mouse off! the result is a grey area (called the pasteboard i guess) with a white area in centre (called page i assume) this is surrounded just outside by a very pale thin yellow line - this is the thing that I can't control. under the white page there is a blue dotted line that controls page length by dragging. This yellow line is on all pages of the template (which is wildside by the way). When I insert/expand items in any of the pages this area inside the yellow line remains ok but all extras push the bottom and top 'outside' this ?protected area and they become 'covered' with a dark grey (but transparent) area, ie it looks like the yellow line area should expand along with page length etc but does not. It seems the same fixed size on all pages? so for a page that is short there is plenty of room top and bottom 'inside' the yellow line to add/expand items but as soon as you add lots of stuff or drag the bottom page line down then it all goes grey beyond the fixed yellow 'window' which remains proportionally centrally (so you get the grey bit equally top and bottom). Am I being really dense here? it is obviously some boundary or other not really a layer?

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    Taking your advice a step forward.

Open the Page & Layer gallery (F10).
    Check you are in Layers view: if not, double-click the blue background and the Buttons bar should open out and the Layers should appear.

• @Xara - yet another request to improve the UI has passed us by for another year. In Page view, there is NO INDICATION for the existence of a Layers view or even a Shortcut Key press.

Above the blue background to the top right are two naff icons: a stack of eyeballs and a stack of unlocked padlocks. Click both.
    • @Xara - again an INCONSISTENT UI, the unlock action does not unlock Page and Pasteboard backgrounds. One needs to click on the individual red padlocks.

Finally, depress the Locate button.

Now, you can click away on the design and discover which shape is where and have the ability to alter it, its attributes, its place and just delete it.

Acorn

Groan! can you believe it I have finally found out what the problem yellow border is - show print borders aargh! only found it by wanting to turn on/off the grid. apologies to all of you trying so hard to think what on earth I was on about.

Looks like your move away from Serif WebPlus may not have been such a good idea, got the same kind of symptoms as you. I see what you mean but have no answer. Good luck with 'support'.
    [QUOTE=solent;623438]Hi all, I know this is probably really basic but I didn't spot anything in the manual - having used a template as a starter I

Groan! can you believe it I have finally found out what the problem yellow border is - show print borders aargh! only found it by wanting to turn on/off the grid. apologies to all of you trying so hard to think what on earth I was on about.
    And print borders are so appropriate for a website. Though I don't think they are turned on by default.