Hi, handrawn!

P&G16 can re-import at the same size, it didn't change the size of the SVG-2 even after re-exporting it again, and importing it back in. Also P&G16 didn't initially have 'export selection only', that came in a later patch, which I liked, but it was upsetting my exports that I had just got used to, so I re-installed the earlier version to maintain consistency, and my update facility has expired. I can opt back in before Friday and get P&G17 at a well-reduced cost, and I'm going to do that, but I am disappointed that SVG import/export appears to be so inconsistently managed.

In P&G17 importing an SVG results in a clipview of the imported objects, even if no viewBox parameters were present in it. That doesn't seem right, and P&G16 only used clipview when the viewBox was present. Because I am updating an open-source CAM prog at the moment (a very LOOOOONG moment ), which is SVG-based, one of the things I am correcting is its own SVG export facility as it has its own issues, and so I have been doing a lot of testing with it. I was expecting that Xara with its very long pedigree in vector-based drawing would be pretty much pitch-perfect on SVG import/export, and I have to say I'm pretty disappointed that it has been having these issues.

The viewBox settings if present in an SVG file is a clipview/zoom-level combo facility, and is optional, it doesn't have to be present. But that isn't behind P&G16/17's issue, because it still enlarges my ship counter if the viewBox is absent, which means explicitly no scaling, and even if it is present, if the viewBox width and height match the document (viewport) width and height, scaling is 1:1 anyway, ie no change.

I have also now found the opposite problem, where a collection of ship counters exported as SVG from my CAM prog is about 23.5cm across, but when imported into P&G16 it is scaled down to about 7.6cm across! Inkscape imports it correctly, and so does P&G11.

If I import it into P&G17, I see nothing but I am told there is a clipview object. If I remove the clipview and give the clip rectangle (actually it was unclosed and P&G17 reports it as a line) a line thickness to make it visible, the collection appears outside the clip rectangle, which is why it was invisible. And it is also only about 7.6cm across, not 23.5cm.

I am wondering if this is related to the treatment imported photos are given, whereby they are rescaled to a 'suitable' size? I may do some testing on that, see if there is an acceptable range where the imports are not scaled.