Quote Originally Posted by jimhanus View Post
How does it compare to building websites?
It's completely different. All buttons need to be a minimal size because people use fingers not mice. The design is catered to a specific form factor - mobile and/or tablet. Designs must adapt if possible to different device size ratios. If there is a footer button bar, it's generally pinned to the bottom and scrollable content will scroll between the header and footer.

Care must be take about how the app is used.Often people are using the app single handed so it's good if most functions can be operated with a thumb. Unlike a desktop text/number entry may need a keyboard to pop-up so it's desirable to allow pages to scroll to enable the entry field to be visible.

There are various conventions for editing lists, drilling down into details, deleting entries etc.

If you are going to design mobile stuff you really need to be at home using apps and knowing the feel of how they operate.

That said, many of my apps are from client designs and can be very unconventional. Other times I make them from design to appstore submission. The majority of my clients are small businesses or design houses who can do most of the design but can't make it work. There is no 'typical' app that I make. Often I just get the difficult bits to program when the client is making the app themselves but needs help with it. Many of my clients appear then disappear as their business ideas don't work out.

Take a look here: https://www.ipauland.com/portfolio-ios.html

Were they template-based or from scratch?
Always from a client design/storyboard or from scratch.

Paul