Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hybrid View

Default Re: Update to Xara Designer Pro X 16 - or not?

I've NEVER lost any custom toolbars through crashes. For me Xara rarely crashes, and then reopening brings everything back up as expected.
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Weird! X11 looses all custom tool bars for me, whereas the older X8 never looses anything.
    The version you are talking about, is it X11 ? Also may I ask what platform/pc you are using?
    I am on a PC Win 7 Pro using a wacom digitizer
    regards Helle

At the moment, I'm using XP&GD16. but I've used nearly all versions (Except 11 and I have to admit mostly NOT Pro) from Corel Xara 1.0 to the current V16.3, and NEVER lost a custom toolbar through crashes. I've ONLY ever had to recreate a toolbar when upgrading to a new version.

I'm also using Windows 10.

I'm obviously not representative, but just wanted to point out that this may ONLY be a version 11 problem - although this is the first time I've ever heard it mentioned.
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Okay, I also never have lost a tool bar, except in pro11.
    I tried to figure out where the custom tool bar is saved to, but gave up. Had hoped for an easy solution.
    Have just finished installing pro16 trial - hmm, no real news for me at first glance!

To quickly see what's been added to each new version, there's a link (poorly named 'here') on this Xara website page:

https://www.xara.com/uk/designer-pro/whats-new/

Beyond the Shape Painter tool and SmartShapes I don't think there have been any useful drawing tools added (or improved) for years.

Very nice car drawing btw.
    Jon (Jono) Xara Photo & Graphic Designer 19.0.0.64329 DL x64 May 19 2022

I believe you are right :-(

In addition to the what's new link, please refer to this link that highlights additional feature releases: https://www.xara.com/uk/designer-pro/whats-new/older/. Also I'd recommend reviewing the release notes to see many improvements that add up to a lot.

Hopefully, you will find that it is beneficial to upgrade from v8.1.1 to v16.3.

Happy holidays,
    Matt
    CEO of Xara