Quote Originally Posted by Know1 View Post
@Acorn, technical reasons aside, if you have an object with a shadow and you group it, then I can see why the shadow would get stretched out and move position.
But if it's just a shadow that you put on an object, I'd expect the shadow settings to remain constant unless you use corner handles to scale an object.

Here's another thing about Shadows that bugs me.
Know1, I agree with you that technically the Xara function is not a true Shadow; I use CSS for mine.

A true shadow would have a light source at infinity and the shadow would remain as you wish.
For some reason, a Box of 120 x 60 px with a 20px blur Shadow grows by 40px (2 x 20px) and ends up as 161.6 x 101.6px. A zero blur Shadow similarly has this magical extra 1.6px added.
If you were to create a clone and feather it, the dimensions remain the same!

For this poser:
  • If I only have Layer 1, I get "1 rectangle"; more than one layer gives, "1 rectangle on Layer 1".
  • Regardless, it should state "1 shadow group...".
  • Shadow Group: (Shape & Shadow) > [Convert to Editable Shapes] > Group: (2 Shapes).
  • Solo Shape: (Rectangle) > [Delete Node] > Shape (RA Triangle) --> Detached Shadow (shape).

Xara then treated the detached Shadow still as a Shape as I can right-click and pick Shape Tool. It does, however appear to be a Shape with a Bitmap Fill (obvious if View Quality is minimised) with around 50% Transparency in my test.
I can alter Nodes and all operations act as if on a Shape with a Bitmap Fill.

The failing, I think, it that Xara has not set it as Fill > Bitmap & Transparency > Flat/Normal (mix): 50% despite using and creating a Bitmap.

The Shadow produced is certainly anomalous.

Acorn