Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Smart Text

Hybrid View

Default Re: Smart Text

Quote Originally Posted by Rob-Xar View Post
    Why would you want the formatting to be retained instead of taking on the formatting that has been applied to the text / text area?
    Rob, say I always use the phase "Watch out, there are Gremlins about!". Currently, I have to create three Smart Filed Names to achieve just this. I do not want to then have to click and clack to re-apply formatting when I add my strap-line into my prose; it would be quicker to re-type!

Later on I decide I want to change the red to green and add bold. At present, I cannot do any such formatting as the Smart Field Value is a plain text monolith.

We are working with word processing or web pages that use formatted text, so the "Smart" Field Values need to retain formatting.

Watch out, there are Gremlins about!
    Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

I would prefer that format retention be a sticky option. I can make cases for both retaining the local formatting and for keeping it plain text that takes on the destination format. Depends on the particular project.

If the possibility of retaining the style of a smart field is added I personally would prefer to have an option for that at the individual smart field. Usually I would only want to have the plain text added in the current style, just as it is implemented now.
    Some import functionality would be nice (from json or xml maybe), even better a life import from a linked file...