Quote Originally Posted by Grafix Smelter View Post
We had it 30 years ago. I think something got lost in translation when ported from RISCOS to Windows :-

http://www.apdl.org.uk/riscworld/vol...st20/index.htm

Master pages
Computer Concepts describe Impression as a Document Processor. Each document consists of one or more Chapters. Each chapter consists of one or more pages, and each page of one or more frames. As suggested earlier, you can place frames exactly where you need them, and move them around at will. But the effects which you create will only be valid for the current page.

To allow for conformity from page to page. Impression uses the concept of Master Pages. At the beginning of each new chapter (the start of a single page memo still counts technically as a new chapter), you can select an appropriate master page. The simplest has a single A4 sized frame, another has a two-column format, while yet others allow four columns on an A4 page held horizontally (allowing it to be folded over to make an A5 pamphlet (similar to the format used by RISC User). And if none of these are suitable, you can design your own. Master pages can also be used to supply a consistent logo or .banner to a sequence of pages, and to supply page numbers and other headers and footers - any of which may be over-ridden on specific pages.
Great to see that.

I guess Impression was the child of Wordwise.

I don't think Xara Studio came from that branch of the family - it was never a word processor, it was a graphic design program with rudimentary text handling.

But Master Pages should have been done years ago, together with CMYK handling.