Somewhat different story that won't help you but may give a different perspective.

I trained in heavy engineering, think oil wells and commercial water valves. Good money, but not what I wanted.
I've always played around with music editing (DJ type) and took a year off to DJ around Europe. Loved it, but not exactly a career for life job.
Met my wife which changed my view of the World. We are both dreamers who enjoy life and like to help others. We moved to Australia, because why not. Here I am back in heavy engineering earning money but just being robotic.

Twins arrived on the scene. I missed their first 2 years and decided that money will never be more important living a life you're happy with. Began learning computer stuff and found I could make sense of Windows 98. Started repairing as a side line from home. This was my turning point. I could work from home and be with my family.

Took a dip in money, but was far happier. Looked for other income streams and fell back to mixing/editing music. Sold mix tracks to local gyms along with computer repair. Also made small money selling mix tracks for house parties, which lead to buying party lights and hiring those out as well as the music tracks. Twins now 12 and my youngest 8. Youngest is diagnosed with a variety of mental health issues and simply can't handle school or being around people in general. (another story, but my work choice made me the happiest man on the planet because I can be there to help her whenever she needs me).

Twins now 23, youngest 19. I still do computer repair, which is my main income stream, create a web presence (nothing flash or corporate) for small businesses and one-man-band tradies around the local area. Still do party hire and have a small repeat trade in music for gyms. Rolling in money? No. Happy as a pig in poop? Yes. I feel I am helping others, be it with adding a smile through music, or giving a battler a leg up the ladder without trying to grab their last dollar. And most of all, I have had the extreme pleasure of walking hand in hand my wife watching my kids grow into who they are.