Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: shortcuts etc

Hi there, I'm here with a second topic.
    First: I visited the Xaraxone. Simply beautiful lay out. Another thing I miss in Xara, or don't know, is the CTRL+C and CTRL+R to center horizontally and vertically. How do you center objects in Xara, and is there a shortcut I missed? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img]

Hi there, I'm here with a second topic.
    First: I visited the Xaraxone. Simply beautiful lay out. Another thing I miss in Xara, or don't know, is the CTRL+C and CTRL+R to center horizontally and vertically. How do you center objects in Xara, and is there a shortcut I missed? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img]

Hi Erik
    From the menu you can select Arrange / Alignment for the align facility your after.
    Egg
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Hi Erik,

You can get to the alignment menu via Ctrl-Shift-A too. OR Windows > Controls Bars > Arrange enables a toolbar which has several "arrange" functions (including an alignment button).

There is a MAJOR difference between aligning in Xara X as to what you are used to in CorelDraw. Corel aligns all selected objects relative to the LAST object selected.

Xara is much different. For example, if you want to align things to the right of an object, Xara will use the right most object of all selected objects as the alignment point. In the above example, I you might take the strategy of selecting all objects EXCEPT the "aligning" object, moving them to the left of the "aligning" object, then shift-select the "aligning" object, and then execute the align-right function.

You may find the centering function bit more frustrating because it centers to a point which is the center of all the selected objects.

Don't give up though. You'll get used to it.

John

Thanks, both of you. I won't give up, be shure of that! Xara is far too fascinating, and, apart from my spiral-obsession, I haven't found anything I really miss. One thing I do NOT like, is the badly drawn eye icon for "visible". But that's a detail.

And another idea: as it can take weeks before the CDRom arrives, the movies do come rather late. I think they should be downloadable on the Xara site. And in case they are, they are well hidden.

...can we get Align to Selected Object in the next version of Xara? It's so much more efficient than Align to Extreme.

It was the first thing I looked for when I downloaded the XX beta, and I was hugely disappointed that it hadn't been included.

Allison

Yes Allison, it goes without saying. In my work, aligning objects relative to one another is a major function. This enhancement would save me a LOT of time.