Quote Originally Posted by mwenz View Post
Your text isn't aligned across those columns, Acorn. But then, I don't know whether you desired to illustrate Xara's inability to do so without faffing about or believe it is.
It can be done. It's also a right pita to do so with anything except a basic book style layout.
Even in something meant to do layout, a grid is not an absolute necessity to accomplish this. A grid is just a tool. I use baseline grids in perhaps 1/2 or more of the books I do (and the newspapers I've set up), but if the text is simple enough, the styles can be created so as to compensate for a no-grid layout and that's what I'll use (or not use depending on how one looks at it).
Mike
Mike, appreciate your comments; I was throwing something out there to get a response and to propose a couple of workarounds.

Yes, it is a PITA, so by showing where Xara is fails might give it the right stimulus.

I strive for good enough and a workflow that can be redone without tons of effort.
When proper baselining appears, I can then throw it all away knowing I having just been waiting.

The closest example I can think of is Tables; Xara has dithered for years so I have alternatives/workarounds that just about work but these at least have rock-solid examples of where I can show Xara where it is well off the mark.

I am knowingly ignorant of DTP best practice but 'baselining - doesn't work' wasn't a good starting point for me and, I suspect, Xara.

Acorn