Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

i recently got a wacom intuos tablet and it came with painter classic--
    i'm still learning how to use it. however, my paint shop pro doesn't seem to be working, and i can't paint too well on painter because i can't figure out how to do something...
    on paint shop pro, which is pretty much the only graphics program i'm used to, it's layers-related and by making a transparent layer, the orignal black outlines can stay intact even when colored over. can someone tell me how to achieve this effect in painter classic? thanks...
    IP

i recently got a wacom intuos tablet and it came with painter classic--
    i'm still learning how to use it. however, my paint shop pro doesn't seem to be working, and i can't paint too well on painter because i can't figure out how to do something...
    on paint shop pro, which is pretty much the only graphics program i'm used to, it's layers-related and by making a transparent layer, the orignal black outlines can stay intact even when colored over. can someone tell me how to achieve this effect in painter classic? thanks...
    IP

congrats, nichie

you're the first posting on the painter forum in the new millenium. wow, pretty good for a new member [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    as for your question... you should have asked santa for painter 6! there isn't much you can do with transparencies in classic, particularily for what you need. though once jinny brown reads your post she'll no doubt suggest a wonderfully complex workaround for you [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

seems to me that the best promotion of painter is wacom?! maybe corel should start putting together a more comprehensive upgrade deal for wacom purchasers.

stecyk66
    IP

The bundle of Painter Classic with Wacom Intuos tablets must be a fairly old deal. There is no indication that Painter is no longer associated with MetaCreations for example.

The advice to upgrade to Painter 6.1 is sound, I gave up with Painter Classic because it rapidly becomes very limiting as your technical expertise develops.

The cheapest upgrade path (in the UK) is to get the back issue of September PC Format (about 5 UK pounds) (www.pcformat.co.uk for their phone number). The mag. has Painter 5.0 (or is it 5.5?) on the free CD. This is considerably better than Painter Classic. You can then upgrade to Painter 6 for about 100 UK pounds if you really want the best.

Considering what users are paying for higher end Intuos tablets, it's time Wacom upgraded their bundled software to at least the version given away with a magazine.

Tom
    IP

Processing.....

hehehehe.

Hello Nichie-Chan!

Welcome! First. I don't own a copy of painter classic. . . . but . . .

back when i visited my neighbor's computer, I think i remember testing whether you could do the tissue paper (tracing paper) effect with Painter classic (where you can use your b/w image as a starting place for the rest of your work).

to do the tissue paper/tracing paper effect, you would look at my posting here about using clone to get tracing paper effect

This set of instructions may require some translation from Painter to Painter Classic but it might give you some ideas of what to do. . . . assuming I understood your plight correctly. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

If I misread, forgive me [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Tom Holt Welcome to the painter forum fellow Xara fan! Hehehe and if the Painter folks at corel are mystified as to how these trails from Xara to Painter are started. . .I'm pretty sure that these Talkgraphics.com forums are to blame [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img].

I recall that there were some cool postings answering questions about wacom tablets in the Xara Forum . . .and then fellow Xara users took the advice of their comrades and bought Wacoms that had painter classic bundles. . .hehehe and voila! new fans of Painter arrive . . . Word of mouth. . . digital or otherwise. .. works.

Thanks for joining the painter forum, Tom. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Welcome to you both! and thanks for taking the time to post [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Athena

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    Athena
    Our thoughts are bounded by words. The quality of those thoughts is largely determined by the words that compose them.
    IP

Tom,

Did I read you right? You know where one can upgrade from the PCFormat version of Painter 5.5 to Painter 6? If you do, I surely would like to hear about it because a lot of us have been trying to learn how.

I've asked Tanya Staples two or three times and her last response was that they hadn't decided what the upgrade package would be. I assume she meant with the next Painter upgrade? Really.. don't know what she meant and I'm not going to bother her about it anymore.. since she's always been so helpful .. must be that she really can't say now.

Anyhow.. please tell us?

Thanks, you could make a lot of folks happy! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Did you say you're new too? It's hard to remember what I read when I can't see it typing away in this tiny reply box. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] Anyway, welcome whether you are new or not.

Jinny Brown
    http://www.pixelalley.com
    Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Chinese Proverb
    IP

Nope, Stecyk,

I won't bore you.

I find Painter Classic both more than expected and far less than I have patience for.

To the new Painter Classic user.. welcome! ;o)

I third the vote to go for Painter 6. It has Layers and a kazillion more things that'll make you wonder why you waited (if you did).

Jinny Brown
    IP

First, Hi Athena and thanks for the welcome. I'm sure this forum will prove as valuable and entertaining as the XaraX one.

Jinny, I am sure that when I got the PCFormat version of Painter 5.5 there was a mention, either in the mag. or with the CD, of an upgrade path to Painter 6.0. I had just bought Painter 6 from an auction and was particularly annoyed to find I could have got it much cheaper! I'll see if I still have the mag. at home and check the source.

Tom
    IP

Thanks for the advice. How would I obtain a copy of Painter 5.5 or 6, and how much would it cost?
    [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] Wish I lived in the UK, but I don't.
    IP

Tom,

I think that offer is pretty hard to pin down now. Several people on other lists have tried to get it and I wrote to the Magazine myself.. don't forget the details now but whatever they suggested I did.. I think it was to write to the folks who supplied the software.. I did that.. (whatever it was) and received no response whatsoever.

One of the people I mentioned, who'd been trying to get the upgrade via the PCFormat Magazine route got nowhere.

I suspect that upgrade offer only lasted a certain length of time. Wasn't the CD attached to a September issue of PCFormat? This is so long after.. too bad. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

Still, if you come up with something, I'd be delighted to hear about it.

Thanks [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Jinny Brown
    IP