Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Named Colors Request/Suggestion

Ok, it's probably just me and certainly not at the top of anyone's list of things hoped for, but I use the "named colors" extensively.

Here it is:
    Instead of the current default labeling for named colors, i.e. "shade of" and then the primary colors designation, I would LOVE for this feature to be implemented, namely adding double digit numbering after the name rather than the "shade of" at the beginning of the name.

1. I makes identifying the color you're looking for quicker and easier.

2. When you sort your colors in the color gallery by name, the named colors stay grouped.

3. When I merge or add one xara drawing to another, the color gallery doesn't become a mess of named colors all mixed up because most of them begin with the words "shade of".

I realize that I could put all the primary colors at the top, but there are often times when I want to make adjustments to one of the shades of the named color and not the "named color" itself.

I've been using this feature of "named colors" for years now and this would be of huge assistance to me. (again, probably only me. I get it)

I've attached a picture illustrating what this would look like.

I don't know how much work this would entail in programming it this way, but I had to ask.

So, for what it's worth...Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2017-02-16_13-42-42.png 
Views:	157 
Size:	14.3 KB 
ID:	116240
    R_o_n _a_l _d __C. __D_u_k_e

x a r a . c o m..a r t i s t s ..g a l l e r y

Xara's Facebook

Xara Designer Pro X 16, Xara 3D7 Web Designer

Default Re: Named Colors Request/Suggestion

Ok, it's probably just me ......
    Not at all Ron. Named colours are great! It's been a bugbear of mine that create a shade of the base colour ('egg' for example) always gives the name 'Shade of egg' rather than 'egg ..' be it whatever. Your preference is fine. Personally I prefer naming shades 'egg lt' / 'egg drk' / 'egg v drk' etc.

My biggest issue is to change names firstly I have to delete the prefix 'Shade of ' then add the suffix 'my prefered name'. So your auto numbering would suit me fine, all I'd need to do is backspace the numbers and add my prefered named suffix.

I'd also love to have Shade of colours remain attached to their parent colour on the colour bar as and when they're created.
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Seems two good suggestions here. Of course we have to use what were're given but it always seemed a silly way of naming "a shade of _____ " by the time your finished with a large drawing I get confused especially when it's for print. Plus 1 for this type of naming. I wonder what amount of programming that would take.
    Design is thinking made visual.

By the way, I just want to emphasize that this is not a complaint, but rather a wish.
    Like Eric and Peter expressed, we really appreciate the hard and unending work and work load the programmers face.
    One thing I forgot to mention as another reason for my request is that,
    When I import a number of xara drawings into one new drawing, it is so helpful to be able to identify the colors for one specific subject in that drawing when there are many of that same subject...but in different forms and colors.
    I hope that makes sense.

Xara's Facebook

I really hope the developers can implement this request to the next update!

I do so much work using named colors and my detailed drawings often include many, many shades of named colors that I have often needed to rename
    named colors to eliminate confusion and mistakes if I were able to rename the parent color and have the shades rename as well.

Pllleeeaaassseee!!!

Xara's Facebook

+1
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

If continuing support for Graphic Design is truly one of the promises to be fulfilled, I would really appreciate the above request being seriously considered as I use Named Colors extensively.

To exchange "Shape of" with the "parent" colors name and a two digit number sequence, does not seem to be a huge task. I do admit, I don't know programming, but it just doesn't seem that big of a deal.

Changing this would be HUGE for me, eliminating hours of extra work.

Thanks for considering this, Matt.

Xara's Facebook

To exchange "Shape of" with the "parent" colors name and a two digit number sequence, does not seem to be a huge task. I do admit, I don't know programming, but it just doesn't seem that big of a deal.
    Sorry Ron, do you mean "Shade of" ? If so I totally agree. If I create a named colour "egg" then create another named colour as a Shade of egg I would really like Xara to create a named shade of egg as "egg01" NOT "Shade of egg xxx".
    Egg

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    Sorry Ron, do you mean "Shade of" ? If so I totally agree. If I create a named colour "egg" then create another named colour as a Shade of egg I would really like Xara to create a named shade of egg as "egg01" NOT "Shade of egg xxx".
    I believe I wrote "Shade of" with quotes in my post.

Thanks Eric

Xara's Facebook