Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Winters where it\'s cold, summers where it\'s hot

I just read this excerpt over at the PhotoShop Gurus forum here at i/us

I've just been notified that the new owners of the i/us Web site will not be continuing support of content hosted sites, such as mine. This concerns me a little.

Here is an excerpt from the letter i received:

"I have major news about the site. You may have heard that i/us was sold to EyeWire in February of this year. Our new owner is moving away from the concept of hosting content areas... November will be the last month."

What's this all about? Sheeesh, I hate it when new management takes over, they invariably screw up everything! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img]

<a href=http://www.inconnect.com/~dennisco/>Carillus Design</a>
    <a href=http://www.djart.com>DJArt & Design</a>

Winters where it\'s cold, summers where it\'s hot

I just read this excerpt over at the PhotoShop Gurus forum here at i/us

I've just been notified that the new owners of the i/us Web site will not be continuing support of content hosted sites, such as mine. This concerns me a little.

Here is an excerpt from the letter i received:

"I have major news about the site. You may have heard that i/us was sold to EyeWire in February of this year. Our new owner is moving away from the concept of hosting content areas... November will be the last month."

What's this all about? Sheeesh, I hate it when new management takes over, they invariably screw up everything! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img]

<a href=http://www.inconnect.com/~dennisco/>Carillus Design</a>
    <a href=http://www.djart.com>DJArt & Design</a>

That's ridiculous. I didn't realise they were sold to eyewire. eye wire is cool and all, but they are doign less and less design help and more and more design product selling. This is really stupid.

Nathan Heagy
    <HR>
    Blow Your Beef Away
    Cow Comics!
    Founder and Lead Designer at Amuses Me Games.
    Apple fanboy with much nostalgia for Xara. @nheagy on twitter

I have been tracking whats been going down in the PS guru forum as well, Mark say's he's loosin the Photoshop Guru's Handbook content site, Does this mean Gary's loosin the Xonezone? Myself I know nothing. The discussions are why I have been hanging around over the years, if they go so do I, nothing else here interest me. Whats Eye Wire? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

>Whats Eye Wire?

i-us when it goes haywire?

Q.

I haven't heard anything about this, but if there's no content, what is there? If they axe the Xara forums I'm sure they'd thrive elsewhere. How much space do you think they'd need?

Regards - Sean
    Regards - Sean

If that's true, then it would really hack.

It's not enough abuse that eyewire used to play that stupid smack abe ad at the top of the i-us pages. (not the way to win friends and influence people)

Now these eye-wire people might be planning to nix the hosted content? Where did they come from? MetaCreations? Talk about killing the goose that laid the golden egg. . .

I do love the forums. The people here in the I-US forums are worth many treasures but I just can't see how eyewire could consider the content providers as unprofitable. (If unprofitability is the reason they are considering this move) What is the value of community respect and trust ?

I come to I-US for the forums and the content (xaraxone, photoshop guru, navworks, graphically speaking).

I have never been a customer of eyewire products. And in the near future (next three to six months), I can't say I'm feeling compelled to become an eyewire customer. If they bought i-us because they thought that we, as graphics professionals and graphics junkies, would buy from them in droves, then perhaps they should re-think their marketing strategies and seriously account for the needs of graphics professionals.

Perhaps a poll would better suit their marketing strategies.

<ul>Perhaps a poll with quesions like this[*]how much per year do you actually spend on clipart and stock photos?[*]how much per year do you prefer to spend on clipart and stock photos?[*]do you prefer to take your current stock of clipart and photos and make your own images from them?[*]do you spend most of your billable and/or free time making your own illustrations and photos?[*]do you only buy clipart and stock photos when you have an emergency or rushed deadline?[*]do you set aside a part of your annual budget for buying stock photos and clipart?[/list]

Do they think that we graphics professionals have unlimited budgets to spend on buying clipart and photos? It takes time to hunt for the right image. Add to that time, the money it costs to buy the photo or collection you want . . . the cost can get very expensive.

Sometimes, it's easier to just make your own images. That's what I think most of us get from these forums and from the content providers -- we learn how to make our own images. (aside from the output or tech support issues). So perhaps eyewire bought i-us with faulty expectations of what the visitors/customers are interested in buying.

Is this just some image issue that eyewire is playing with? (Don't they listen to the Sprite commercials? Image is nothing, thirst (for knowledge) is everything)

Does eyewire want to become a portal? what is their overarching goal? What benefit do they expect to gain by disrupting our happy i-us community in this manner?

What would it take to keep the content providers? Does this have to become a paid subscription site to allow the content providers to stay? Is a paid subscription a realistic alternative? Specifically, how much would I have to pay to keep the XaraXone?

I've already paid for a subscription to one of navworks' foundries. Do I still get my year subcription which I just paid for this month?

This is very bad news if it is true.

Eyewire better come clean with us -- and fast. I will not tolerate being strung along until November like some ignoramus. If they respect me or any of the rest of us vistors, I expect a clear and straightforward answer.

Athena
    Athena
    Our thoughts are bounded by words. The quality of those thoughts is largely determined by the words that compose them.

I don't understand what / who EyeWire is, but if the threat is that the XaraXone website and the forums vanish, why don't we all put £20 in to a pot, get our own hosting package sorted out on a commercial server and get Ultimate Bulletin Board running from the CGI on that server?

This infopop thing looks like a contracted-out hosting of UBB anyway.

Presumably the owners of the i-us are paying Gary something for the tutorials he does, so we'll pay him the same or more to carry on but on the rebel server - if what we have now is being withdrawn. Only yesterday Pauland suggested a subscription based insider type idea, so that's all we need to do to get it going surely.

I'd be happy to organise all of that, and put my £20 into the proverbial hat to start of the collection.

Heck, we're all web developers anyway aren't we? I am at least, and we're setting up websites all the time - why would it be any different doing this one?

So, eyewire - whoever or whatever you are, close us down, and we'll go set ourselves up again !

It would be really very sad if forums were eliminated.
    I believe that they proved a good promotional advertisement for xara products and the feeling of community it created made us supporters of xara and i-us.com.
    Anyway, in case it proves true, my company has the resources to prepare and host xara related forums.
    My company has a sister company (DigitalCommunications) which has equipment and bandwidth (10Mbit/sec) good enough to carry on until another company is ready to restart.
    Of course I'll try to make arrangements to be free to xara community.
    You will find some pictures in
    Sorry the text is in Italian, but you may find some images useful.

Luciano

What constitutes Content, according to EyeWire?

You'll notice that the Xara Zone is listed under the "Content" section, just like the Photoshop Guru.

That would seem to indicate that Gary's free tutorials will no longer be supported.

If the Xara Zone is 86'd, then so is the "Insider", since you access it from the Xara Zone and it is "Content", right?

We don't know what is going to happen in November, other than the Content Related sites will no longer be supported. Since the Xara Insider is "Content Related", then there is no reason to buy Xara X from i-us.com, since you won't have access to this private area, come November.

Support Xara. Buy Direct!

Kenny