Thanks Gary,
Do you know if there is a way to make the mouseover layer stick or freeze open so the text or star remains on the screen when the mouse is navigated off the object.

Now your idea works better than my work around. I had placed the various steps on individual popup layers and opened each popup when the user clicks the covering rectangle. This caused me to split up each step into individual chunks and create many popup layers and I don't really want to do that. I'm also afraid it won't scroll smoothly in all browsers, just too many possible popups on-screen.

Your idea works, if I can only get the mouseover layer to freeze open when clicked, it would be perfect. However, I can't think of any scenario that would freeze the mouseover layer. I could recreate the Mouseover text/image in a popup layer and have a "reveal all" button that calls the popup. Thus your fix would be an individual mouseover for each step, while the button click would reveal all steps... If there's no way to freeze the mouseover then I think that's what I'll try.

Thanks GW