Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Default Re: Mark321's THIRTY LOGOS assignments

Another good one Mark. Bevel edge and or shadow would make that stand off the page.
    It would be great if you complied all these logos in one big xara file for us all to play with!

Quote Originally Posted by sculptex View Post
    Another good one Mark. Bevel edge and or shadow would make that stand off the page.
    It would be great if you complied all these logos in one big xara file for us all to play with!
    Thanks, sculptex. I am trying to find a file that's compatible between AI and Xara. It's not going well. Here is the best I can get so far:12 Logo Assignments.xar

The won't come out right. I don't know why. Sorry.

Mark

For me, the dark background has more impact. I'm not convinced that drop shadows, bevels and other such gewgaws are actually a good idea in any logo, ever.
    3D can be effective, though (providing it is a simple 2-colour design, using Illustrator) and not the output that Xara's version produces, which is raster in any case.
    Bob.
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.

Mark, you will always fight for definition with a light motif against a white background. Try it as a transparent effect with a border instead.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by iamtheblues View Post
    For me, the dark background has more impact. I'm not convinced that drop shadows, bevels and other such gewgaws are actually a good idea in any logo, ever.
    3D can be effective, though (providing it is a simple 2-colour design, using Illustrator) and not the output that Xara's version produces, which is raster in any case.
    Bob.
    Yes, Bob. Drop shadows and bevels in a logo are a bad idea as you cannot shrink the logo to business card size and still see the effect (bevel, drop shadow, etc.) And I often avoid 3D effects as well because 3D will often leave a logo illegible at business card size as well (regardless if it's vector or raster, which it should always be vector for tiny images.).

P.S...I just ordered me some new business cards. They should be in by tomorrow or Wednesday at the latest.
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    Mark, you will always fight for definition with a light motif against a white background. Try it as a transparent effect with a border instead.

Acorn
    I like the border idea. Don't know about the transparency effect, though. Not sure if it's visible enough, Acorn (Not real sure what you're referring to). Yep, I'm (a)Corn-fused! LOL!
    Mark

Yes, sculptex. A drop shadow or bevel in an "ad" would look fine as long as the logo was nice and large. And if it is small, it might make the logo illegible. But I see your point!

Mark

Thanks for uploading those pics, nice to have a play!

As it happens, I tried to bevel behind all the sword and shield logo and wording but it doesn't really look great because the wording overlaps the shield so it looks wrong. applying the bevel on the text so it was raised in front of the shield looked wrong aswell so my initial thoughts on that did not work out.

I totally agree that a logo should not be reliant on a bevel or shadow or whatever but having a logo that lends itself to that option in certain circumstances is a big bonus.

I am loving the Ping logo, probably my favourite. you can 3d extrude, bevel edge, drop shadow, re-texture, live fx etc. that and it still looks great. (not all at once, that would be tacky, though I do have to restrain myself sometimes!)

Thanks for uploading those pics, nice to have a play!

As it happens, I tried to bevel behind all the sword and shield logo and wording but it doesn't really look great because the wording overlaps the shield so it looks wrong. applying the bevel on the text so it was raised in front of the shield looked wrong aswell so my initial thoughts on that did not work out.

I totally agree that a logo should not be reliant on a bevel or shadow or whatever but having a logo that lends itself to that option in certain circumstances is a big bonus.

I am loving the Ping logo, probably my favourite. you can 3d extrude, bevel edge, drop shadow, re-texture, live fx etc. that and it still looks great. (not all at once, that would be tacky, though I do have to restrain myself sometimes!)
    You're welcome, sculptex. I'm glad you enjoy my logos. Yes, Ping is one of my favs too. It's fun to go wild and see just how far one can take an image and it still be workable.

Mark

Mark, simply to be able to see through the sword, shield and ampersand so you only have the outer edging and can see right through to the detail underneath.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat