Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Deleting files

Default Deleting files

Hi, I have a rather large website with quite a few pdf files that I link to, but I notice that when I delete them from my webpage they still stay in the files folder, the same with photo's etc. I can delete the photo's from the bitmap gallery but how do I delete pdf files prior to publishing? Thanks

Default Re: Deleting files

I believe these files should be deleted upon publish.

How are you determining they are still there?

When I export to a local folder (which I do just to check that everything looks ok) they are still there?

Hmm. That is interesting. I know when I make updates to websites there is always a notification of Deleting files before the publish is finished. So the question is are the deleted files in the directory after you publish to the server?

I'm experiencing a similar problem with Web Designer Premium. My index_htm_files folder contains very old images, documents, and other files even though I long ago deleted them from my pages (both local and on the remote server). One of my websites is quite large and the Xara files take up a lot of space!
    When I publish, I often see messages suggesting files are being deleted, but I can see that the old ones still exist in the index_htm_files folder. How can I clean up this folder without manually trying to identify every file that's not needed anymore?

Have you closed and reopened your .web/.xar document recently? I seem to remember that this cleans up the files in the index_files folder upon republishing.

Thanks for your reply. Yes, many times over the last couple of years. Can I simply delete the index_htm_files folder and re-export / publish?

Yes. Delete the folder as well and either let Xara create a new default export folder or else create one yourself. Make sure that afterwards you don't change export folders anymore so that the software will 'remember' what has been published already and what subsequent changes need exporting and publishing. Perhaps it's a good idea to first remove the website files on the server. That way, you'll make a fresh start.

I deleted just the index_htm_files folder from my local drive, re-exported, and re-published. Problem solved. Thanks.