Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Linking to a pdf file

I would like to be able to link to a pdf file in my website so that users can download it.

On other editors it would be possible to do it by uploading he file to a folder on the host and then linking to it.

How is this done in Xara? I haven't been able to locate a video or item in help.

Any one able to help please?

Default Re: Linking to a pdf file

Quote Originally Posted by nicoll29 View Post
    I would like to be able to link to a pdf file in my website so that users can download it.
    On other editors it would be possible to do it by uploading he file to a folder on the host and then linking to it.
    How is this done in Xara? I haven't been able to locate a video or item in help.
    Any one able to help please?
    Just drag the PDF onto the design page and accept the offer to create a link.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Many thanks

W Nicoll

Sorry, just another point. It was easy enough to do, but does the file remain a pdf that can be downloaded. When I tried it I didn't get an offer of a link.

Info Re: Linking to a pdf file

Quote Originally Posted by nicoll29 View Post
    Sorry, just another point. It was easy enough to do, but does the file remain a pdf that can be downloaded. When I tried it I didn't get an offer of a link.
    I had assumed you were using Webdesigner premium MX as your Xara product.
    Later ones don't handle PDFs the same way.

Select an object (text, icon, blob) and in its Web Properties > Link, use the Link to file (PDF, AVI, etc) and navigate to the local folder where the file is stored. Select this and then click the Apply or OK button.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

In WD ProX you simply drag and drop into your webpage. You then get the option to create a link which you describe Acorn.

Sorry for not coming back sooner, but I was away for a few days. I am using Xara Web Designer Premium 12.4.1.47518 DL x64 Nov 17 2016. Are you saying i can select a pdf file in any local folder on my PC and do what you say, or do I have to add the pdf file to the webfiles folder created by Xara? Or is that the same thing?
    Last edited by nicoll29; 23 February 2017 at 05:35 PM.

Yes, just drag and drop onto your page and you will then get an option to create a link. Select this and you will have a PDF Icon. The PDF is automatically added to your web files. Anyone clicking on the icon will automatically have the PDF open up on their computer where they can print or save it.

Thank you