Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Can't import *.doc file

I'm, so frustrated. After countless hours, I finally gave up on Scribus. I decided to try Xara, and I can't even import my *.doc file. I use win8.1 and am using Xara 11. I hope someone can help.

Default Re: Can't import *.doc file

Welcome to TalkGraphics

What Xara product are you using Karen. There are four, Web Designer, Designer X Pro, Photo & Graphic Designer, and Page & Layout Designer.

Thanks for replying. I'm using the trial version of Page and Layout Designer.

Hi Karen. Welcome to TG.

Page and Layout Designer should be able to import Word Documents. Having said that I have come across Word docs that won't import. I don't know if it's a Word version issue or not. I suggest you try importing various .doc or docx files and see whether none or some import.

Once you've reported on your findings perhaps we can help further. For example if you can open the .doc file in Word and export it as a .pdf it may import better.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	word-import.png 
Views:	101 
Size:	115.8 KB 
ID:	116267  
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

I don't have Word. I use Apache Open Office. Maybe that's the problem? It does save in various *.doc formats. I'll try different ones.

Okay. Do you have dropBox or Google Drive? If so could you share one of your doc files that you can't open? (TG doesn't allow .doc file attachments)

I'm afraid I don't have either.

Quote Originally Posted by Karen500 View Post
    I don't have Word. I use Apache Open Office. Maybe that's the problem? It does save in various *.doc formats. I'll try different ones.
    I have Apache Open Office and P&GD11, if you save your *.doc file as a .pdf file it imports fine so it should work in P&LD. and editable.
    You can also right click on your .pdf file where ever you have saved it and select "Open With" works fine also.

Stygg
    Last edited by stygg2003; 20 February 2017 at 07:31 AM.

just for future reference - you should be able to attach a doc file to TG if you zip it first
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Hi Karen500,

Can you first try running Xara as Admin, do this by closing all Xara programs, right clicking the desktop icon and select "Run as Admin...", now try to open the .doc file again.

If this doesn't work, can you send in a support ticket at support.xara.com, attach your file, a link to this thread, and copy the top line of text from the Help >> About Xara dialog in the program. Then put your ticket number here and we'll test this within Xara for you and see if it's an issues with the file etc. and find a fix.

Thanks,
    Ben