Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: about .ai files

does anyone knows which .ai formats are supported within xara?....i've tried to export xara's saved .ai's into vecta3d and i keep getting the message that these files are not:
    illustrator 8.8...3.0....3.2...or 4.0 so which are they?can they be converted to these particular format and how?
    i dont have illustrator either.....
    thanks
    philippe

does anyone knows which .ai formats are supported within xara?....i've tried to export xara's saved .ai's into vecta3d and i keep getting the message that these files are not:
    illustrator 8.8...3.0....3.2...or 4.0 so which are they?can they be converted to these particular format and how?
    i dont have illustrator either.....
    thanks
    philippe

I also had the same problem trying to import .ai files exported from Freehand 9.0 into Vecta3d so got in touch with info@ideaworks3d.com. I was told that Vecta3D only imports .ai 3.0 files exported directly from Illustrator. Cheers.

P.S. Vecta3d ver. 1.1 will be out soon.

XaraX 1.0a exports version 7 .ai files and will import version 8 files.

hope you're having better luck than i with vecta3d benjamin...the actual error message gives all these above .ai formats as being compatibles...some types of dfx do import some don't...already made 3ds objects may work but creating one's own is more fun and as for animation one can only spin an object around and around....unless one's use 3dstudio max and is able to import objects sequences...not that many options to explore in the stand alone version(el cheapo).their site is under reconstruction..so no technical help available as this very moment so how does one register this thing? computer art says it's superb i say it's a ripp-off!
    but i guess that i am being off topic here.
    [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img]

I have the same feeling about v3d too mate although there is someone at info@ideaworks3d.com answering questions. Benjamin