Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hi all.

I originally purchased and installed version 11 of CorelDraw when it first came out. It was subsequently sold due to issues I was having.
    I’ve now just reordered another version 11 upgrade in the hope that the service packs have resolved most of the issues.

Can anyone tell me what the latest sub-version of CD11 should be with all SP’s installed, so I know if the version I receive will need updating or not.

Also, I’m using Win 2K and do not want to upgrade to Win XP. Is anyone running an up to date CD11 on Win 2K? I was told it runs better on XP, but they’re both NT based so there should really be no difference.

Some of the issues I originally had were speed related, even menus appeared very lazily when selected compared to CD9, or any other app, for that matter. When node editing curves, the node handles would remain on screen as artefacts, which required zooming in and out to remove. And of course the usual Corel stability issues.

I’m hoping most of this has now been resolved with the service packs and would be keen to read opinions on CD11, especially if you’ve had initial release problems and managed to resolve them.

PS… I only install Draw (I won’t be installing PP and definitely not Rave).

Thanks in advance.

Sark
    IP

Hi all.

I originally purchased and installed version 11 of CorelDraw when it first came out. It was subsequently sold due to issues I was having.
    I’ve now just reordered another version 11 upgrade in the hope that the service packs have resolved most of the issues.

Can anyone tell me what the latest sub-version of CD11 should be with all SP’s installed, so I know if the version I receive will need updating or not.

Also, I’m using Win 2K and do not want to upgrade to Win XP. Is anyone running an up to date CD11 on Win 2K? I was told it runs better on XP, but they’re both NT based so there should really be no difference.

Some of the issues I originally had were speed related, even menus appeared very lazily when selected compared to CD9, or any other app, for that matter. When node editing curves, the node handles would remain on screen as artefacts, which required zooming in and out to remove. And of course the usual Corel stability issues.

I’m hoping most of this has now been resolved with the service packs and would be keen to read opinions on CD11, especially if you’ve had initial release problems and managed to resolve them.

PS… I only install Draw (I won’t be installing PP and definitely not Rave).

Thanks in advance.

Sark
    IP

I wish I could help you but I'm running mine on Win98SE, and I never installed any patches or updates on it. Never had any of those problems you described, but I did have it crash on me more than once.
    If you reordered a new upgrade, maybe it is safe to assume they're giving you the latest? you could check Corel's site and look up the versions that needs updates and patches. I think it was CorelDraw11-11.633 for SP1 and SP2.
    IP

Hi Sark, Some of these issue you talk about are still in version 12. So if they're not fixed in v12, chances are they are not fixed in 11 either...but I hope I am wrong.
    IP

Used version 9 Academy in windows 98 and I am using Ver.11 on XP. I think the speed issue as been resolved the only menus that I think are slowish is the extrude/lighting and thats not bad.

The edit nodes occasionally are a problem but it only happen when moving in a large magnifcation setting and I think this fault is something to do with video drivers and the way CD uses a database in its programme and I think I read in a newsgroup that it only effected Invida drivers.

As for the upgrade after intalling SP1 I did it in my last computer but not my new one and everything seems to work well although CD does not get heavy use.
    Design is thinking made visual.
    IP

Thanks for the replies.

I guess with CD you just have to accept it is never going to be perfect.

About a year ago I installed Photoshop 6, the stability of this program really shows why Adobe are considered a professional outfit and Corel are not. I recently upgraded to PS 7, just as stable as 6, but more interestingly, very few obvious changes from 6 and apparently CS adds very little more over 7.
    This is where Adobe get it right in my opinion. Corel want you to think you get value for money with each new upgrade by adding too many bells and whistles, and making unneccesary changes to give the illusion the program is considerably different from the previous version. It's this that results in so many problems.

Oh well, still 100% easier to use than Illustrator.

Sark
    IP

My installation of CorelDRAW 11 is solid as a rock...most problems are down to the users' systems
    IP

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>My installation of CorelDRAW 11 is solid as a rock...most problems are down to the users' systems <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's Corel's standard reply but, I've reformatted and had CD11 as the only app on my PC, my home system is not connected to the web and still the problems remained.
    I even tried Partition Magic to keep it on it's own partition, didn't work.
    Maybe it does work better on Win XP, but can't see why that should be the case.
    I should add that I've used 8 & 9 with no problems.

Sark
    IP