Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Does Google Maps Widget Work ?

Hi,
    I'm trying to insert a Google Map onto my website using the Google Maps Widget. When I click on insert it says:-

Unable to find the HTML code for the widget on the widget site or on the clipboard.

-There are two variations to the Google Maps UI. These instructions refer to the new style. You should be prompted to switch to the new style Google map if you are still seeing the old style (without the settings button referred to below).
    - Search for a location using the search bar or click on the button labelled get directions.
    - Enter your start and end address if you require a map displaying directions and click on on the search icon.
    - Adjust map to desired center and zoom level.
    - In the top left corner, click the main menu.
    - Click Share or embed map.
    - At the top of the box that appears, choose the “embed map” tab.
    - Choose the size you want, then copy the code.
    - Click the Insert button below to add the widget to your page.

The embed map is not available in the menu, I think because i'm in Lite mode. I cannot see anyway of switching from Lite mode to the full version. Does anybody know how to sort this problem out?

Thanks.

Default Re: Does Google Maps Widget Work ?

Hi Ian, don't bother with the widget. The problem is that Google Maps update their embed method fairly often and this can make a widget out of date. Same goes for Facebook etc.

Go to google maps and pan/zoom to the required map. Follow the attachment below, then in Xara create a rectangle, with it selected, go to Web Properties / Placeholder / Html Code (Body) and paste the code and apply. QED
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	google-map-embed.png 
Views:	120 
Size:	222.3 KB 
ID:	114816  
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Thank you. Will give that a go.

All Working. Many Thanks.

Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Guess who? I followed the instructions from above and this is what I got. It's the last page, contact.

a1nursing.xar

Iggy, you're not following the instructions. In Google select the EMBED MAP tab not the SHARE LINK tab

It should be:

<iframe src="https://www.google.com/maps/embed?pb=!1m10!1m8!1m3!1d6103.689690343154!2d-82.9520453!3d40.1011721!3m2!1i1024!2i768!4f13.1!5e 0!3m2!1sen!2sus!4v1479318685800" width="600" height="450" frameborder="0" style="border:0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    Egg

Also sort out your page names. For example a-1 faq-a should be contact. The link on the menu from Contact should be Link to Page Contact not Link to Anchor clientcontactform
    Egg

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    Iggy, you're not following the instructions. In Google select the EMBED MAP tab not the SHARE LINK tab

It should be:
    The master has spoken! What do you do when he speaks. YOU LISTEN! Annnnnd he was right. I wasn't following directions the first time. *Note to self. Do it right the first time Padawan.

It's working Egg. Thank you sir.

He he
    Egg