Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Daft question: can you make a multi-page website with single page website template

So, as the title says really...

I am currently using Web Designer 9 premium. I think I have taken my sites as far as I can with this, and it's time to update to version 365 Premium.

I have looked at some of the examples on the Xara website. I really like the look of the templates 'Ultimate' and 'Fresh' and others that use the single-page design template.

I have downloaded the trial version but of course all of these templates are unavailable to test out, so I can only make a decision based on the mock-up of these templates shown on the Xara website, and of course these are all just single page websites.

I dont think I will be able to fit all of the information I have onto a single page - I dont think it would work either - the websites I create aren't like blog-style sites, they really need to have seperate pages for the different sections.

So this is all a long-winded way of asking whether there is scope to combine a series of single-page sites together into a larger website with multiple pages?

So for example, when you click on one of the buttons on the title bar, instead of the link taking you to a bookmark further down the page, it would actually take you to a different page (but one that is still based on the single-page design, if that makes sense??)

Is this possible? Or do the single page templates only work as single pages?

Thanks

Default Re: Daft question: can you make a multi-page website with single page website templat

A "single" page site as a Supersite is a collection of web pages that are bundled together into a set of DIVs that are revealed one at a time when navigation to a page.
    Convert this to a Conventional website and you get separated crafted pages all using the same template.

It is all done at the selection of an option.
    You lose the horizontal or vertical transition effects, which nice are only eye candy.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Default Re: Daft question: can you make a multi-page website with single page website templat

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    A "single" page site as a Supersite is a collection of web pages that are bundled together into a set of DIVs that are revealed one at a time when navigation to a page
    Acorn
    Thanks Acorn.

In the example single-page site on the Xara website (lets say the "Fresh" template) there is a sticky menu bar that stays at the top of the page when you scroll down, but you can click on any of the menu items/buttons and it will essentially just jump down the page to the relevant section - a bit like using bookmarks for chapter headings in an MS Word document.

Would it be possible, instead of linking those buttons to a part of the same page further down, to link to a different page entirely?

The "Jon James" example (http://previews.xara.hosting/jonjames/) seems to do this. When I scroll down on the home page to the gallery section, and click on one of the images, it seems to transition to a new page entirely. But i'm not sure what the difference is between the Jon James example and the Fresh example, other than the fact that the Jon James template is not listed as a single-page template.

Sorry, I know these are simpleton questions. I'm used to working with Web Designer 9 Premium so this was before all the single-page stuff and clever widgets were used. I'm trying to visualise how it all fits together in the software screen, but I guess i'm struggling. I tried downloading the trial version but none of the single-page templates are available to test.

Thanks again.

Looking back at my last post I dont think I am articulating my query very well, sorry!!

I guess the main question I have is why are single-page sites "a thing"?

Looking at, for example, the Jon James vs the Fresh templates: Fresh is listed as a single page site, and Jon James is a multiple page site. I get why that is (because, literally, the Fresh content is all on a single page). But I guess I dont understand the rationale for Xara promoting these single page sites as a different option.

Looking at the content on both those examples: They both have a stick menu bar at the top, they both have the stretchy background kinda photo thing going on, they both have examples of various clever transition effects as you scroll down, or hover over images, etc (the eye candy stuff). So as far as I can see they both examples of exactly the same thing, except one of them has one page and the other has several pages. But isn't that how its always been with internet sites? You can always have anywhere between one and many pages?

This is from the Help file:

About Supersites

Modern web browsers support many advanced HTML5 and CSS3 effects, allowing much more dynamic and visually exciting websites to be created.

Supersites use these effects to allow you to add dynamic animated page transitions and display options to your webpages as a user clicks through the navigation on your website.

Supersite animations are hardware accelerated, which is supported by almost all modern browsers, including those on phones and tablets, to ensure a fast and smooth animation.

Whilst Supersites are not appropriate for large or complex websites, they are especially suitable for smaller sites, or for web documents, presentations and anywhere where a slideshow style of content might be called for. Presentations are always published as supersites.

Vertical or horizontal display options allow the viewer to scroll through the pages using a mouse, or else swipe through pages when using a tablet or other mobile device. The pages are presented as a single scrolling list. Alternatively a selection of Page Transitions offer a large range of transitions to choose from.

If you look under "Supersites" in the Help file, there is more on this. For instance, Supersites as an alternative to .pdfs.

Hey @Rocket,

You can actually hardcode any navigation bar to the top of the page and when you are scrolling down, it will remain to the top of the page.
    1) Right-Click you navbar
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vyzHHXl.png 
Views:	85 
Size:	9.8 KB 
ID:	114910

2) Select Stick at Top
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jOOwApH.png 
Views:	96 
Size:	10.0 KB 
ID:	114911