Quote Originally Posted by theinonen View Post
Carrara interface is not my favourite either and generally dark UI colours that are so fashionable today are depressing.
If you prefer a light skin, no problem. Some people use a bright skin over the day and a dark one at night...
Blender ships with a variety of preset Themes, there's bright ones among them. Dozens of user made skins
are shared in forums and may get loaded with the click of a button.

I can not sense the Atari feel you get – but as said you could even redo interface elements to your liking.
Customization options offered are just insane and likely even overwhelming a lot of users.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2016-09-27_14h51_16.jpg 
Views:	284 
Size:	73.1 KB 
ID:	114415

Quote Originally Posted by theinonen View Post
Not long ago I loaded Blender to see how it has evolved over the years but everything was too small with 4K monitor. Maybe there is easy way to make things bigger if could see the text on menus, but things like that really give bad first impression. For example Metasequoia has auto DPI adjust enabled as a default on settings, so people with normal eyesight can start experimenting straight away. Small things like that matter.
Even a lot of software which costs four digits can't deal properly with Hires monitors... Blender offers the best control
over scaling the GUI to any resolution and personal preference I have ever encountered anywhere. Simply dial in a new dpi
value and everything rescales in realtime.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2016-09-27_15h02_50.jpg 
Views:	244 
Size:	59.0 KB 
ID:	114416

That all being said... my daily work usually requires CAD-data so (any) mesh based programs can only be complimentary tools.
But Blender is a very nice option indeed.