Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default website opens to a black page and can't be seen until I add the /index.htm on the end

website opens to a black page and can't be seen until I add the /index.htm on the end. Not sure what's going on. I have built many sites with Xara
    and I am trying to update an organizations site for them. After the upload, nothing appears until I add the /index.htm.

Any ideas?

Thanks so much.

Default Re: website opens to a black page and can't be seen until I add the /index.htm on the

Has the site got an index.html file? This will be loaded by any browser over & above an index.htm file. Or is there a default file named in the .htaccess folder?
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Default Re: website opens to a black page and can't be seen until I add the /index.htm on the

It's always harder to know what's going on if the URL is missing.

I exported the files to my documents so I could see all of them before using a different ftp program to upload the files, just in case it was an issue with DP 11
    The index.html file appears there, I uploaded all files to the public_html folder as they had suggested, yet I am getting the same results. Black page on the .com and the .com/index.html yet it appears as the /index.htm when types in manually.

Egg;

These are the contents of that file. Any suggestions?

# -FrontPage-

IndexIgnore .htaccess */.??* *~ *# */HEADER* */README* */_vti*

<Limit GET POST>
    order deny,allow
    deny from all
    allow from all
    </Limit>
    <Limit PUT DELETE>
    order deny,allow
    deny from all
    </Limit>
    AuthName www.************.com
    AuthUserFile /home/*******/public_html/_vti_pvt/service.pwd
    AuthGroupFile /home/*******/public_html/_vti_pvt/service.grp

I appreciate your guidance!!!

Just looking at this very quickly. It would appear the site has an 'index.html' file. Browsers have a pecking order for opening files from a root directory, something like 'index.html', 'index.htm', 'home.html' and 'home.htm'. So if a file exists on your server named 'index.html' it will be loaded in preference to 'index.htm'.

It appears your server has an 'index.html' (which you see as all black). Rename this file 'index-old.html' in Filezilla or similar. Does that now load your 'index.htm' file?

If not it's probably a path name in the .htaccess file, but try the above first
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Egg;

I did re-name the index.html file and that fixed the problem. Thanks so much!!! I really appreciate all of you for being here to help!!!

Egg