Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default How to set bleed options

Hi I have document that I have to send to the printers - My Document (Its a Sign) is 900mm x 600mm - The printer says they need a 3 - 5 mm Bleed I have gone into the page settings and put in 5mm bleed and it draws a box around the document - is that it? or do I have to stretch the image to fit the box - or do I have to creat the page 910 x 610 - the help file is not very clear on this - I have to get this off today so any help would be appreciated

Default Re: How to set bleed options

Page size is the page size after trim. So your page, if it is already the intended finished size of 900mm x 600mm is what you want.

Once bleed is added via the page options, any items that are against the page edge need to be extended to the red "box" which is the 5 mm bleed around your page. So a background that extends to the edge is something that needs to go to the bleed box. As well, individual elements that may be sitting right on an edge need to actually extend to the bleed box else re-positioned in from the edge as these are considered "live elements." I usually keep these "live items" away from the page edge equal to the bleed amount.

This area is called the "safe zone" which is an area that the printers want kept clear from any elements that are close to the page edge but are not intended to bleed.

You will be handing them a PDF, correct? Make sure to review the PDF in Adobe Reader before sending it in. There should be at least trim marks. But do check what "printer marks" they want. Some companies don't require them for properly made PDFs.

In order to add these Printer Marks, you need to enable them via the Print Options dialog available from the File menu. They are on the Imagesetting tab.

Geoff - I am moving this to the graphics chat area. Anything that bleeds off the page needs to extend to the red outline you see outside the page.

Thanks for the help guys - its off to the printers fingers crossed