Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Publishing and Xara hosting

A couple of questions which I probably should know the answers to:

1) When publishing a website, is there a way to exclude a specific page from being published? I have one "template page" that I use for "template objects" such as a text boxes or logos, etc., that need to appear at specific places on a page; when new pages are created I then copy the objects needed and then paste them in place onto the new page. I was hoping for a way to exclude the "template page" when publishing the .xar file.

2) Does Xara hosting have an alternate way to name a website posted on their site?
    The Http://kpzpzs.xara.hosting/ "prefix" makes it difficult for people to remember a site. A shorter name would be preferable.
    I realize Xara may do this in order to promote their services and software, but couldn't there be alternative approach such as placing a branding overlay layer on the home page of a website?

Default Re: Publishing and Xara hosting

John - You can require a password for a page or pages or the entire site.

You can kind of have a site name other than the example you posted. I am not sure but you may be able to use an existing domain name and point the servers to this domain name.

1) It's handy to have that templates page published with your site on-line in case you lose the original in some way. If you do not create links from your site to that page no one will know it's there except you ;-)
    JOHN -XaReg (FB) XaReg (DB - ignore prompt to register)
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64

1) When publishing a website, is there a way to exclude a specific page from being published? I have one "template page" that I use for "template objects" such as a text boxes or logos, etc., that need to appear at specific places on a page; when new pages are created I then copy the objects needed and then paste them in place onto the new page. I was hoping for a way to exclude the "template page" when publishing the .xar file.

Why not put your template in a separate document and copy and paste from there?

Well, that is the obvious answer. I wanted avoid two documents and that is why the question. My thought was if you can publish to PDF and exclude pages, then perhaps there was also a way to do the same when publishing website.

Don't publish the pages. IOW delete the pages you don't want to publish.

You can do this by creating a copy of the document, deleting the pages on the copy, and publishing from the copy.

The other pages remain for editing or publishing if you change your mind.

You can change the gibberish URL as it is a sub-domain, for which Xara allows changes.

Log onto Xara Hosting Control centre... (https://www.xara-online.com/gb/).
    Bottom left of the graphic, there is Control Center | Settings.
    You should get something like https://www.xara-online.com/gb/my-se...ings.1546.html.

Look for Web Address, click Change.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Thanks Acorn (and others). I was able to modify the sites web address.

I believe this is a very good question. In all of my other web design software, you can right click on a page and choose to HIDE it or NOT PUBLISH it so that it does not get uploaded. Other features allow web pages to be uploaded, but excluded from menus, searches, etc.

It would be very important to include this in Xara. In fact, I did not realize Xara was missing this very important feature until this thread.

Mike

John,

Please share how I can require a password for a webpage.

David