Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Problems Opening Web Pages Created in Microsoft Expression Web 4

I'm running a trial of Xara Web Design 11 Premium to consider switching from Microsoft Expression Web 4 (a successor to Front Page).

Very frustratingly, when I open a page from my website in Xara, it is a mess. Text overlaps; huge blank areas; simply unusable and a time-consuming nightmare to try to clean up. I have attached a screen capture in Xara of the web page at http://www.planningcommunications.com/ai/index.htm to lllustrate the problems. The page in Xara looks nothing like the actual page online or in Expression Web 4.

Since there seems to be no way to speak with an actual Xara tech support person (which kind of discourages buying a Xara product -- maybe there is phone or email tech support, but I haven't found it yet) , I was hoping that somebody here might know what's going on? Are pages created in Microsoft Expression Web simply incompatible with Xara Web Design? Is there anything I can do in Expression Web to prepare pages to edit in Xara? Is there some way in Xara to import pages created in Expression Web? Is there any way to achieve compatibility?

Thanks for whatever guidance you can provide. Time is of some essence since the discount on Xara Web design 11 Premium ends soon.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	page in Xara.jpg 
Views:	174 
Size:	116.0 KB 
ID:	110024  

Default Re: Problems Opening Web Pages Created in Microsoft Expression Web 4

Welcome to TalkGraphics.

You've seriously missed the point of the Xara Web Designer application.

The File > Import from web address... simply copies in images and text from a web page. I would suggest that the copying of text into single lines is where your major frustration will lie.
    It is not a direction i would come from myself. Xara does not convert anything else. There is no hyperlinking, no coding, nana.

Xara Web Designer is an approach to creating a design from a template, or scratch, where objects (even images) are treated as vector components throughout design until the time they are published. The highest possible fidelity is maintained in your design.

If you want to recreate your site, read how Xara is purposed first. You can then replace all your text graphics with editable text blocks that are crisper and can be recoloured and reformatted repeatedly.

There is plenty of tech support on Xara's website, which is given in the Help file.

Looking at your current site, it would be far better to pick an appropriate Xara template and populate it with unformatted text into text blocks from your current pages, building up a design that is more consistent while reducing the textual overload.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Welcome to TalkGraphics Daniel.

Thanks for whatever guidance you can provide.

First of all I'd say that Xara's inability to import your existing site pages is actually a godsend for you.

I'd use this as an opportunity to redesign the site completely and either acquire new design and copy-writing skills or engage someone who has those skills. I've no doubt you are good at what you do professionally, but in terms of promoting your services the existing site really needs a complete overhaul.

I understand you may not be totally pleased at such a suggestion, but I'd take some time looking at your competitors or sites of a similar nature in and outside of your market to see how things might be done in a better way.

I wish you the best of luck.

Quote Originally Posted by pauland View Post
    Welcome to TalkGraphics Daniel.

Thanks for whatever guidance you can provide.

First of all I'd say that Xara's inability to import your existing site pages is actually a godsend for you.

I'd use this as an opportunity to redesign the site completely and either acquire new design and copy-writing skills or engage someone who has those skills. I've no doubt you are good at what you do professionally, but in terms of promoting your services the existing site really needs a complete overhaul.

I understand you may not be totally pleased at such a suggestion, but I'd take some time looking at your competitors or sites of a similar nature in and outside of your market to see how things might be done in a better way.

I wish you the best of luck.
    yep I definitely agree a make-over is needed.

Getting back on track:

Looking at your current site, it would be far better to pick an appropriate Xara template and populate it with unformatted text into text blocks from your current pages, building up a design that is more consistent while reducing the textual overload.
    This is excellent advise from Acorn and the best way to import your current content into Xara.
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host