Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Resizing objects

Hello

I have added a text box to my site, but when I try to resize it using the toolbar either the new numbers have no effects or they change to something different. For example I set;

X = 15
    W = 1170

But as soon as I set the 1170 I get

X = -39.9
    Y = 1152.2

I'm finding it very hard to set position and co-ordinates, on any object. Also how can I set the anchor point so when I change the size I get to choose the fixed point from where it will be resized?

Thanks

Default Re: Resizing objects

X is the x-co-ordinate and Y, the y-co-ordinate should give the top left position of any object.
    W is its width along the X-axis and H is the height along the Y-axis.

Say, you have a box at (X, Y) of (50, 50) and W 100 and H 200. If the Lock aspect ratio (Padlock icon to the right of W & H) is selected, and you change H to 120 and press the Return key, then the box scales from the centre point so X goes to 40 and Y to 30 and H to 240.

The centre point can be changed to anywhere if you select the object twice so you see the central control point.
    You can then click drag this to anywhere and the scaling centres around this. if you move off the object you have to reset its centre each time.

if you just select a box control point and drag that, the centre point become the opposite point.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

The issue I am having is that, from your example, I type in X=50, Y=50, W=100 and then when I enter H=200, all the values change to X=103, Y=101.5 W=100 and H= 97.1, then if I try again I get an equally bizarre set of numbers, and so on.

Size you box first then position it.
    If you are sizing something to a width and a height, the Lock aspect ratio must not be selected.
    Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

OK so I kinda get the resizing to work for now.
    But with the control points I am still a little clear say I want to know the Y co-ordinate of the bottom edge of a rectangle rather than the center how can I get that?

Quote Originally Posted by nazf355 View Post
    OK so I kinda get the resizing to work for now.
    But with the control points I am still a little clear say I want to know the Y co-ordinate of the bottom edge of a rectangle rather than the center how can I get that?
    You should really raise this as a separate Post as the answer will end up being ovelooked.

if I had such a need, I would Show rules (Ctrl+L) than click drag from the horizontal rull area down onto the rectangle's bottom edge (with Snap to Objects selected).
    This creates a Guide line, which by right-clicking, you can find its position.

failing that select the object and add Y + H.

Acorn