Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Wide Format Tutorial

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    There are no pages. The links all link to anchors. This gets a bit tricky. In the Welcome area, hold down the Ctrl key and click on the gray rectangle. Then click on the yellow tag icon on the Infobar at the top of the page. You will see the name Welcome. In the Nav Properties menu, the Welcome button links to the Welcome anchor.

On the right side of the page, there is another yellow name tag the Names Gallery. If you click the circle next to any of the anchors, the anchored object that bears that name will appear.

Anchored links work this way. You select an object, click the yellow tag icon and give the object a name. Then you link to Anchor and select the name from the drop down list.

This is more advanced for Xara but again you can do a search in Help for Anchors to get more info on how these work.
    Ah Ha!!! That helps....Thank you

I have made some revisions to the tutorial http://gwpriester.xara.hosting/index.html

The nav bar (individual buttons) now slide in from the top one at a time and I changed the action on two of the mouse over objects at the bottom of the page.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks so much for this. In one click I solved the issue I have been searching for for 30 minutes!

Welcome to TalkGraphics Hunter

Glad we could help.

So utilizing the new tools in Web Designer 11 Premium... is it possible to create a site like this? http://www.nassauparadiseisland.com/

No really. That is called parallax scrolling. You can achieve similar effects but not those exact effects.

That said, if your content is good and interesting, this is what will keep people on your site. You can design your website to provide interesting and relevant content and hold your visitor longer than if you go with all the bells and whistles but offer nothing of interest. Rationalizing, a bit yes, but true.

At the risk of hijacking the thread, what I am most trying to achieve here are images that will stretch across the browser window without loosing part of the image by re-scaling horizontally and cutting off part of the image.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter-MX View Post
    So utilizing the new tools in Web Designer 11 Premium... is it possible to create a site like this? http://www.nassauparadiseisland.com/
    if you're talking about the top banner staying in place, once you build the site (html) go into the index.htm using notepad (or sublime or whatever) find towards the top where <body> starts and locate where the banner image is called. change the position to fixed and it'll stay at that position. in my case the banner is found to be named by xara as image 204@2x.jpg
    Code:
    <span class="xr_ar" style=" left: 0px; width: 100%; height: 763px; top: 0px; position: fixed; background:url('index_htm_files/204@2x.jpg') center center no-repeat; background-size: cover;"></span>
    Quote Originally Posted by Hunter-MX View Post
    At the risk of hijacking the thread, what I am most trying to achieve here are images that will stretch across the browser window without loosing part of the image by re-scaling horizontally and cutting off part of the image.
    that's gonna happen until you make several variants that the images get adjusted for....and as being broached in THIS THREAD there is, in my and from the looks of it the xara main man mike, no substitute for getting in and coding yourself. xara is great at getting it rolling and nearly perfect but for complete design and customization you gotta tweak on your own. most sites out there, in my opinion, would be fine using xara's variant templates.

i've done some major hacking on my site for many, many nights and it could've mostly been accomplished in one night using xara and then tweaked....but then i wouldn't know how to keep the banner fixed
    and with all my hacking, i still don't have the responsive part down that well which is why i upgraded to DP11 cos i don't need all the fancy design stuff really.