Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Two of my classmates in Randy's class created key chains with fobs for the 2nd lesson. They did an excellent job. I thought I would try modeling a key. It was harder than I thought it would be, but here's the result. It's supposed to be one of those small keys, like for a desk or filing cabinet.

I originally tried using an imported spline that had the notches already made. But found trying to get the caps of the extrude nurbs to subdivide made for some hard to select edges.
    Ended up using a cylinder and cube object instead.

I purposely hid the tip of the key, didn't want to show where I really messed up with the edge selections and didn't clean them up
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	key3.jpg 
Views:	240 
Size:	8.4 KB 
ID:	2115  
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Well, the key looks terrific Bill, and I really like the key ring

Bill - The key looks good, could be better, but with practice it will come. I am curious about your problems with the extrude and fillet caps? Can you explain some more.

Thanks Gidget.

Randy, when I imported the spline I created in Xara that had the key notches and dropped into an extrude nurb, which I converted to editable object. This resulted in the two caps being children of the object. Selecting the Edge Tool, showed there were many triangular polygons. Doing a subdivide of the caps resulted in more triangular polygons. By deleting the spline and extrude nurbs and using the cylinder and cube primitives I could subdivide the cube and get rectangular polys that could be modeled more easily.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	poly-problem.gif 
Views:	206 
Size:	6.9 KB 
ID:	13617  
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

The problem with Nurbs, when converted to Polygon objects is the triangles. Try the fillet options of the Extrude and left it a loft. Then use a bump material to add more details.

I kinda think this is one of those objects which would fare better should one box it out as in apposed to doing the spline thing...

might take a bit longer to realize, but in the end the mesh will be much nicer, and the lessons learned along the way with boxing out this object would maybe prove very valuable...

Randy, thanks for the advice. Using a separate bump for the details didn't occur to me. Doh!!

Gidget, that's another approach I'll have to look into. Thanks.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update