Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada

Default Re: XDP11 Bug: Button Palette blanks out

I found if I minimise and then maximise the main Xara screen with the button palette open the icons all appear and stay. Also, switching to another open app and back to Xara does the trick. Testing the dark UI there's a small glitch. the icons appear in a wave, disappear, appear again and remain visible. At the same time the icons across the top of the main window flicker briefly.

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

As others have said the light UI is unsupported which is why I think that there are other things that the devs need to spend their time on. I think the best solution to this issue is to not switch back to the old legacy light UI. I t think that its time that it was let go completely. Yes there will be some grumbling but once you have used the dark UI for awhile you get used to it and it's not a problem.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Quote Originally Posted by julia View Post
    I found if I minimise and then maximise the main Xara screen with the button palette open the icons all appear and stay.
    Great find, Julia! That works for me as well but when I move the button palette the buttons become unstable again. Switching to another open app does not work for me.
    @the Devs: When the toolbars are docked the buttons stay visible/clickable but when they are floating the above behavior shows.

Quote Originally Posted by julia View Post
    Testing the dark UI there's a small glitch. the icons appear in a wave, disappear, appear again and remain visible. At the same time the icons across the top of the main window flicker briefly.
    Yes, I notice the same behavior.

@Handrawn and Angelize: You may consider the dark interface preferable but I and others do not. The light interface is much easier to my eyes and I find that generally both the buttons and the designs I am working on stand in much better contrast to it than to the dark interface. I find this even the case with the following sample fly-outs that include the newly designed buttons (thank you Xara!) for both the light and dark interfaces with the possible exception of the MouseOver button.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dark & Light Gray GUI.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	16.2 KB 
ID:	109242

Sorry, Frances. I can't agree with you on letting go of the light UI. The dark UI continues to cause me eye strain. It's not a question of "just get used to it".

Julia is correct that minimizing and maximizing does display all the icons on the button palette and they stay to an extent. If I'm fast enough, I can get a couple of icons onto a custom control bar before the palette redraws. It's certainly an improvement, but setting up the custom bars is still an exercise in frustration.

And, like Boy, switching to another application and back doesn't work for me.

I personally do not prefer the dark interface I have got used to it, I could use either if they both worked - but I cannot use the light one because it is now so full of glitches - dialog boxes that are only half there, never mind disappearing buttons - this is likely to vary from system to system in the extent it applies

The only point I was keen to make is that the light UI no longer supported - if you want a light interface that works, then maybe over to the dear xara thread for v12 features.... you cannot expect stability in a UI that is not kept in line with current OS/Graphics

I am using the light interface without any glitches and am very pleased with it. There are some glitches on the way to get there but in posts 5 and 11 you can find the tips you need.

@Devs: One issue remains and that is that the option to have small buttons is grayed out. It's not really a problem to me because I have a large enough monitor to accommodate all the toolbars I need and still have some empty space.
    Last edited by Boy; 01 August 2015 at 09:21 PM. Reason: Changed post number 9 (mistake) into 11

I am pleased it works for you; if you read post #15 you will get an idea why it does not work for me

one day it may stop working for you; especially if you switch computer/monitor/graphics card...

Yes, there is a bug and that's why the OP posted and I and others pitched in. Now you too report having difficulties. Let's hope the devs sort them out, including the flickering at program startup when using the dark interface (at least on some systems).

There are a few interface colors that can be changed in an XML file. What would be nice is if all the interface colors were moved to that file. Xara would be able to ship the default as is, people could tweak them to suit.

Quote Originally Posted by Boy View Post
    Yes, there is a bug and that's why the OP posted and I and others pitched in. Now you too report having difficulties. Let's hope the devs sort them out, including the flickering at program startup when using the dark interface (at least on some systems).
    you really are not reading what i am saying are you - I have ALWAYS had problems with the light interface ever since the dark one arrived... if you and others are only now experiencing it you are lucky

so you set buttons in one skin and rename the .cjstyles file and you expect the forced reversion to work 100%. all the time. for evermore... unlikely say I, but there you go...

@Mike yes, using a file properly is cool; renaming so the program can't find it, is not