Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

View Poll Results: Poll question

Voters
1. You may not vote on this poll

1 100.00%

I am very new at Coreldraw 9. I've just started using it for CD package insert and I can't seem to get off first base. I am well versed at several graphics apps. and I suspect some major difference in Coreldraw is elluding me.
    I am trying to take a jpeg off the web and trim it's white background so all that remains is the irregular shaped object (a banjo). I would then like to place it on a background in Coreldraw and complete the design for my package. I cannot seem to manage to trim the white background. No matter what I try when I import or paste back into Coreldraw from Photopaint the blasted opaque, white rectangle come with it and I can't seem to make it transparent. This step is the cornerstone of most of my work. I would appreciate any help.
    Thanks, Cpanfil
    null
    IP

I am very new at Coreldraw 9. I've just started using it for CD package insert and I can't seem to get off first base. I am well versed at several graphics apps. and I suspect some major difference in Coreldraw is elluding me.
    I am trying to take a jpeg off the web and trim it's white background so all that remains is the irregular shaped object (a banjo). I would then like to place it on a background in Coreldraw and complete the design for my package. I cannot seem to manage to trim the white background. No matter what I try when I import or paste back into Coreldraw from Photopaint the blasted opaque, white rectangle come with it and I can't seem to make it transparent. This step is the cornerstone of most of my work. I would appreciate any help.
    Thanks, Cpanfil
    null
    IP

Cpanfil

This is a monster subject not easily answered in a simple reply however pay a visit to this page for a Photo Paint Masking tutorial

The Internet Eye Tutorial Page

If the object in the bitmap you wish to mask has a crisp outline or little anti-aliasing, you may be able to use the Bitmap color mask in CorelDRAW.

After importing the bitmap goto the main Bitmaps pulldown menu and call up the Bitmap Color mask docker. Use the Eyedropper tool on the docker and pick the white background from the imported bitmap and apply.

Place a solid colour vector rectangle behind the bitmap and examine the edges of the bitmap, if there is a halo effect then using the tolerance slider on the current bitmap color mask may reduce the effect.

Hope this reply is of some use.

Peter
    The style challenged Pete'sCrypt
    IP

It's even easier than that. In PhotoPaint, Mask the banjo, then convert the mask to an object. Save it as a native PP file (CPT). Now import it into Draw. With it selected, ungroup it and delete the background. Neatest thing since sliced bread.
    IP