Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hybrid View

Default Re: Xara doesn't have this feature - any workaround?

Like Albacore suggested, I would also use DTP software for something like that.

Mail Merge should do it just fine and besides of text should also handle images when used with referenced pictures.

thanks everyone for offering your kind help.

Sorry I didn't put it clearly in my original post so I'll try to explain it better here.

this is what I'm trying to do: design a layout template and then create different variations of it and the end result is dozens of banners in jpg or png format (not PDF).

e.g.
    I've decided the following as my layout template:
    ---use light blue as the background
    ---there's a headline on the top (maximum 60 characters)
    ---under the headline there's a hero image on the left and three bullet points and short lines on the right
    ---under the hero image and bullet points there's a call-to-action button such as "click here now"

By variations, I meant each of these "elements" has a few different versions. There're four versions for the headline, 3 hero images to be used, slightly different copies for the bullet points and different words for the CTA button.

Let's take auto insurance for illustration...
    Different versions for the headline:
    1) "Just bought a new car?"
    2) "Special deals for new car owners"
    etc

and different versions of CTA button:
    1) "click here now"
    2) "find out more"
    3) "more info"
    etc etc I guess you've got the gist...

The end result I want is dozens of banners (of the same size, e.g. 300x250px) made of different combinations of the "elements" in jpg or png format.

It would take too long and cost too much if it's done manually one by one.

Seems Photoshop can do this (as shown in the links I included in my first post) and I'd like to know if Xara can do this as well.

In the case that Xara can't do it like PS does, would I be able to get the basic layout template done in Xara and then export it to Photoshop and do the efficient job there?

Hopefully I've explained my questions clearly this time. I'm not a professional in this field so my apologies if I did a poor job again in explaining everything.

Any help would be much appreciated!!

As I said in post #4: I think once PS imports artwork then the format is immaterial.

Do you have the skills to do the automation part? I do wonder if you are asking these questions.

I wonder if it's capable of handling varying text sizes well - for example, importing a button image from Xara wouldn't make it automatically grow and shrink.

My own experience of handling multi-language projects (not using photoshop) is that while text substitution can work well, where layout is important for aesthetic reasons or restricted for space reasons, then automated text substitution can be problematic.

Personally, I feel that from the questions that you ask, that this is a bit beyond you.

I have made advertising banners in the past and they have not been done cheaply and a lot of care and attention went into aesthetics and layout. I can be sure that your approach would never have been considered.

thanks for your input Pauland.

to answer your question: do I have the skills to do the automation part? Nope, and I don't intend to become a professional designer. All I need is this: roughly figure out how it can be done and *maybe* try to do it once myself and that's it, so that I can hire designers to do the actual work and don't have to listen to and believe any BS cos I have an idea how it works.

"multi-language projects"? Not sure where that comes from? My project is in English.

"Personally, I feel that from the questions that you ask, that this is a bit beyond you." Incorrect...this is WAY beyond me, lol. and again, I don't feel uncomfortable admitting that. I'm not a designer and never want to be one - I hire them to work for me.

"a lot of care and attention went into aesthetics and layout and your approach would never have been considered" what did you mean my approach "would never have been considered"? I pay designers to do the work and they aren't willing to take the money and do the work and follow my requirements? I'm the one that calling the shots, not designers.

Quote Originally Posted by pauland View Post
    As I said in post #4: I think once PS imports artwork then the format is immaterial.

Do you have the skills to do the automation part? I do wonder if you are asking these questions.

I wonder if it's capable of handling varying text sizes well - for example, importing a button image from Xara wouldn't make it automatically grow and shrink.

My own experience of handling multi-language projects (not using photoshop) is that while text substitution can work well, where layout is important for aesthetic reasons or restricted for space reasons, then automated text substitution can be problematic.

Personally, I feel that from the questions that you ask, that this is a bit beyond you.

I have made advertising banners in the past and they have not been done cheaply and a lot of care and attention went into aesthetics and layout. I can be sure that your approach would never have been considered.

there is a big difference between being given a spec by a client, and being told by the client how to achieve it

my inclination is that how I do it is my business, if the client wants it done a particular way and it's not mine then they are welcome to either do it themselves or find someone else - note we are not talking about defining the finished product here, were are talking about the tools or methodology used to achieve that desired result

you want to understand how a professional would do it - do it all in photoshop is my advice

"multi-language projects"? Not sure where that comes from? My project is in English.

Yes, I know. The point is that in automation projects changing languages (in my case) and changing text content (in your case) does not always result in something usable. In my case, a lot of layout work was required to cope with text that became longer or shorter.

"a lot of care and attention went into aesthetics and layout and your approach would never have been considered" what did you mean my approach "would never have been considered"?

Right. I'm not really a designer, though I do do some design work. I have made banner ads for several agencies and they can be very fussy (to put it mildly) about layout, design and aesthetics. The designers working for those agencies have the skill for that job and what is colloquially called "the eye". They do that job on behalf of their client who may have such skills, but most often do not.

In no case would any banner advert project I have been associated with consider automated layout because quality will be compromised.

I pay designers to do the work and they aren't willing to take the money and do the work and follow my requirements?

Mostly, yes. It doesn't make for a good end result in some cases. I have had several discussions with designers about the stupidity of their client. Occasionally I get a project and will never discuss my involvement with it because the clients direction has resulted in a project I wouldn't wish to be associated with.

From time to time I just refuse to work for some clients - either because I don't like what they want me to do, or I find them objectionable to work for.

I'm the one that calling the shots, not designers.

Indeed, but that's not the way to get a polished product. Successful projects are a partnership, not a series of dictates from a dictator.

Your post is confusing. You ask about automation and then getting designers to do the work.

Just let the designers get on with it. God help them.

well I briefly explained it in my previous post:

All I need is this: roughly figure out how it can be done and *maybe* try to do it once myself and that's it, so that I can hire designers to do the actual work and don't have to listen to and believe any BS cos I have an idea how it works.

Quote Originally Posted by pauland View Post

Your post is confusing. You ask about automation and then getting designers to do the work.

implicit in that is a mistrust of designers [ie 'BS']

and a freelance does not 'work for you', that's an employee - a designer does a job for you in return for a fee, it is a totally different contractual arrangement