Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Butterfly

Judi,
    I am sure Elements would save to PSD, and read PNGs.

I looked to see if Expression could save to PSD. I read in a PNG, and saved to PSD. I opened the PSD in Painter IX, and it had transparency available. I was able to load a selection from the alpha channel as well. Expression 3 is free from Microsoft.

Rich
    IP

Todays butterfly. Rich
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Butter5.jpg 
Views:	327 
Size:	18.6 KB 
ID:	16224  
    IP

Another approach I tried.

I exported a black on white object to JPG from Xara X1. As an alpha channel the white will be opaque. The JPG was opened in Painter and an Auto Selection was made based on Image Luminance. Then the selection was saved as a channel. After that, the selection can be loaded from the channel when needed.

Rich
    IP

I have been working on the method load a selection for a clone image pasted into the file. May not be the most efficient way, but it work for a start. Rich

Name:	22HB.jpg 
Views:	303 
Size:	24.1 KB 
ID:	12610  
    IP

I have been working out this method to extract an image in Xara X1, and use the alpha channel as a selection in Painter IX. First, I extract an image in X1 using the shape edit tool, and save to PNG/alpha. Then open the file in Photoshop and save to PSD format. I need a format that Painter can read and has an alpha channel.

In Painter, I turn off the background layer and make the image layer active. I load the selection from the alpha channel and save the selection with a new name. I found this make the selection available when I paste a clone back into the image.

Next, I make a clone using the image layer that has a transparent background. I paint the clone getting overflow into the transparent region.

I select the clone and paste it back into the original image. This gets a messy image with a white background. Now, I load the selection that I have just renamed, and copy and paste again into the original image.

This gives a new layer with an image having a transparent background, and only the image from the selection. This eliminates all the painting into the transparent area.

In X1, I made a bitmap copy of the image, and applied stained glass transparency. Then made a bitmap copy of the SGT image for the shadow.

Rich

Name:	06_M_Butter1a.jpg 
Views:	321 
Size:	29.3 KB 
ID:	12836  
    IP