Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Template

Is there any way to make a template in Xara that keeps settings for more things than the number of pixels on the ruler? To be honest this has me stumped since 1.1, but then I'm a kinda patient person.

Is there any way to make a template in Xara that keeps settings for more things than the number of pixels on the ruler? To be honest this has me stumped since 1.1, but then I'm a kinda patient person.

I believe all that has to be done is create a document with the settings you desire. You can delelete out any objects you don't want to appear in the template. Then perform File > Save Template (the document is automatically stored in Xara's template directory). Now, the template will appear when you do a File > New. The only caveat is that Xara has a limit as to the total number of files it will display in the File > New menu. Also, any xara document manually copied to the template directory can serve as a templa

I've done that, it's how I've always kept a A4+decimal unit template as default but with the new goodies in XaraX it would be nice to have brush and other settings in a template too, this I can't get Xara to do.

Hein,

The brush settings can be saved in a similar manner. Create the brush objects, save them as a brush so they appear in the brush pull-down menu. Then save the document as a Xara file in the Xara X\Templates\Brushes supdirectory. Any xara file with a brush associated with it and located in this subidirectory is supposed to have its brushes displayed/compiled in the Brush pull-down menu.

Hope is addresses some of your concerns.

John

John Clements is right - you can create your own sets of default brushes.
    Create as many brushes as you want. Draw a line with each brush. (Xara X stores only used brushes, not unused ones - it's the same way as unused bitmaps get discarded when you close the document.)
    Save the document in Templates -> Brushes folder.
    Next time you load Xara X, your new brushes appear in the drop-down list and as a new section in the Line Gallery.