[Thank you so much for your continued help!]

Quote Originally Posted by mwenz View Post

If I use the PDF/X-3 profile from XDP using JPEG compression set to 100, I get a PDF of a bit over 5 megabytes.

Mike
The 5 megabyte file size sounds far better than the 17.5 I've been getting [the 17.5 was the file size for a PDF export of both pages of the two-page spread]. I tried to follow your instructions, and immediately saw the end result be a smaller file as soon as I used the PDF/x3 instead of the pdf/x1. But I think I may have done something wrong as my file isn't the 5 megabytes you spoke of, but rather 10.4.

Okay, so here's what I've done exactly:

In Xara Designer Pro 6, starting with the document exactly as it is in the attachment at the top of this forum topic:

*File--->
*Export--->
*Enter file name--->
*In the General Tab, I select "PDF/X3; 2002", and make no other changes in the general tab.
*In the Objects Tab, under "Bitmap Compression" I change "native" to "JPEG", then move the bar until it is set at "100". I make no other changes.
*I ignore the document, pre-press, and security tabs.
*In the "Layers" tab, I deselect "Include crop and printer marks"
*I hit "export"

The PDF file generated is 10,372 KB.

Have I missed something in the instructions? Or, in order to get the 5 megabyte file size, did you export the entire document (as in both the left and the right sides of the two page spread)---or does that number only represent 1 page (as in, either the left or the right hand side)?

Thanks so much for your help!

[Not quite ready to give up on this printer, quite yet.]