Quote Originally Posted by mwenz View Post
Xara applications' Show Print Colors is only useful in the sense that it *can* show that there will be a shift in color. There is no CMYK document color space, there is no CMYK (or RGB for that matter) profile that can be used to alter on-screen color into a working space. That's what I mean by "Xara applications are not color managed."
Depending on the output profile, color values, including CMYK, is properly represented in a PDF.
Yes. That's true.
What do you mean under "output profile"? Profiles by PDF export? Xara does not use profiles. Or I do not know something?

I also have recommended people have a swatch document printed. But it's only really useful when taking work to a quick printer. That is, a printer who is using a glorified copier like those found at FedEx Office, Office Depot and the like. Faithful color is dependent upon the output color profile from an application matching that of the device doing the printing. While I can load and use profiles for most digital printers, they are device-dependent objects and going from one quick printer to another means that the colors will change.
This method I use too. I'll print first my document in a digital print service. Deduction shall be seen about 20% darker than offset. But the colors are usually correct.
I work mostly with same print house, so I can quickly assess.

All of which is why, in XDP, if color is remotely critical, I use CMYK swatch books, use the CMYK color model in XDP while designing, and use the proper output profile. While it may not be properly showing me those colors on-screen, XDP will output them to PDF properly.
Yes, the printer read the color values that I have given. But I want more security. Print preview mode in Xara very helpful, but there are color spaces the oven clearly not covered. In the case with dark brown situation is very critical and unacceptable.