Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Pixelated Text in memes

I create images with quotes. I find an image I want to use (usually a jpeg file) then add text from within Xara Designer Pro X10. I then save it out as a jpeg or png file. When I go to post the image on FaceBook or Pinterest, the image is fine, but the whole area around the text is badly pixelated. I can't figure out if I am doing something wrong in the way I am creating the files. I have attached an example of the kind of file I am creating. Any suggestions on how to get a clean image? I'm not seeing the pixelation effect so much in the attachments as I do when looking at it in FB or Pinterest.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2015 ETB Ch 3 Example 2.jpg 
Views:	442 
Size:	21.9 KB 
ID:	105584   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2015 ETB Ch 1 Example 1.jpg 
Views:	308 
Size:	35.9 KB 
ID:	105585  

Default Re: Pixelated Text in memes

Welcome to TG Kelly. I don't know about Pintrest but FB converts all uploaded images to jpg format from my experience, and further degrade the original jpg quality. I don't think there's a lot you can do about this other than load larger images
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Egg is correct, nearly all of these social network sites will re compress your uploaded image and make it JPEG, FB is particularity bad.
    It's their system and they can do what they please.

Thanks Steve. However I believe they allow you to upload png's to your Profile & Cover Photos (but perhaps only on a business site).
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

When I upload my map files to my G+ page, the files are usually 24 x 36 inches, 300 dpi - now G+ actually down sampled that a bit, but since I upload such high resolution files, the posted images are glorious without any JPG artifacts. I never have pixelization problems on G+, I do on FB, however.

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    Thanks Steve. However I believe they allow you to upload png's to your Profile & Cover Photos (but perhaps only on a business site).
    They do, but as you said, FB converts all uploaded images to jpg format, Egg.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamerprinter View Post
    I never have pixelization problems on G+, I do on FB, however.
    You'll have to contact Mr Zuckenberg about that

Thanks for the info. It is a relief to know I am not doing something wrong. I'll try the larger images angle and see if that helps the Pinterest problem as well.

You could be exporting the image too small.
    XARA defaults to 96 DPI (computer monitor DPI) on export (which generally sucks because XARA doesn't store these as "last used" DPI).

When I EXPORT JPEG files, I always have to click SETTINGS, then the "Bitmap Size" tab.
    From there I usually set the DPI to 600 DPI (print quality for my usual work).
    Since you are doing mere screen-size exports, you will probably want to set your desired pixel dimension size.
    If your exports are too pixelated, that is most times the standard reason.
    Otherwise, click the OPTIONS TAB. From there you will have the choice to set your JPEG QUALITY.
    For best quality, I usually default to 95% or higher for print quality images or 92% for screen-quality images.

And after all of this irritating tab-swap-clicking (which you will have to do on EVERY JPEG EXPORT, grrrrrr irritating XARA interface designer, because XARA just doesn't care).
    You can export a usable image. The irritation is in having no ability to save a Default Export Setting (or generic DPI / image quality) settings.
    The second biggest irritation is in having things like the JPEG quality being spread to another tab and a bunch of the items spread across sub-tabs which could be squeezed easily into a single slightly larger window.
    Just one of XARA's many repeatedly annoying aspects like the "most retarded program COPY & PASTE" default function of ignoring the mouse location and pasting any copied object to the center of the current window zoom.

Always upload the size they suggest and you should be fine, any larger and FB etc WILL compress, can you imagine the server space they would need if they did not compress trillions of photos? Also so what if it is slightly pixelated, it's the message that needs to be gotten across. I would rather watch Groucho Marx in pixelated b/w than some of the new 'comedians' in 4K ultra HD.
    Flawless Form. Faultless Function. Crafted by Cloud

https://www.cloudwebagency.co.uk

Honestly the maps I post on my G+ and FB pages are intended for use by roleplaying gamers to use in virtual tabletop applications, so there is no message (there is no text on most of the maps). The map is the product the customer desires, and I provide free maps with the postings, that will be used as examples in an eventual publication. Being slightly pixelated is a detriment to the use of maps for games.