Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Help! How to move my Corel Draw files to Xara Designer Pro X10?

Help!

How can I move or translate all of my Corel Draw text & design files to work on them and publish them in Xara Designer Pro X10? The only way I can see to do it is save them in JPEG bitmap and loosing text, but then I'm a Xara Noobie! (Of course, I should have started in Xara years ago!)

Bob H

Default Re: Help! How to move my Corel Draw files to Xara Designer Pro X10?

Hi Bob,
    You can export your files from CorelDraw as .cmx files-cmx6, I think. Xara imports them as vectors and can export them as .cmx files too, if required.
    Bob.
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.

I was amazed lately that LibreOffice imports .cdr files seemingly flawless. From there on you could export as PDF or SVG. I've tried it with a .cdr file I found on the Internet . If you take the cars from this page (http://www.freevectordownload.com/Ve...sp?PageIndex=1) and open it with LibreOffice draw you could export as svg (see attached file) which imports rather easily in Xara. I've attached the result as proof of concept. Looking at filesizes its rather peculiar; the .cdr is 1.8mb, the SVG is 8.8mb and the resulting .xar is 2.1mb. Clearly SVG misses compression (which is possible by saving as a svgz; a zip-compressed svg file)

As Xara once was in the hands of the Canadians and hence had CMX natively I'd opt for that route but failing a legit version of CorelDraw the LibreOffice route might be a next best.
    Attached Files Attached Files

As a PS: i was hoping the new Inkscape could import it but that program makes use of a new gem I found: uniconverter. Though it didn't render the attached cars flawlessly it certainly is something to consider. You can find uniconverter on http://sk1project.org/modules.php?na...or&op=download

You can export good svg and PDFs directly from CorelDraw, too, Michael.

I move some stuff back and firth from CorelDraw and XDP, often CDX works just fine between them. Sometimes I use EPS. Sometimes PDF. Just depends on the work. It would be nice if XDP would support the newer CDX type.