Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SP2

Once again my thanx goes out to the usual suspects, and kites too.
    After weighing-up ur pros and cons I have decided not to install it from the duly arrived CD, but to carry on using my trouble-free non-SP2 computer as always, (with just the SP1).
    Thanx again all
    IP

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by StevieB:
    Once again my thanx goes out to the usual suspects, and kites too.
    After weighing-up ur pros and cons I have decided not to install it from the duly arrived CD, but to carry on using my trouble-free non-SP2 computer as always, (with just the SP1).
    Thanx again all <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

StevieB, like my shop teacher used to say dont fix it unless it's broke.
    Mike
    see my photoblog http://kcmcomp.com
    IP

Hi boys,

Yea, I'm not going for SP2 at this time either. I am running XP Pro Slipstreamed SP1 plus other security updates applied. I think I'm as updated as I need to be for right now!!

As an extra security messure I use that very fabulous tool called Shields Up! and my system at home is considered STEALTH, so no open ports. I'm not sure about this computer at work, I should do that......

OK, the machine here at work is Stealth too except there are 2 ports (1027 & 1028) that are closed but safe. So that's good too. I'm running Win2000 Pro here at work so the SP 2 wouldn't apply in any case!

If you are interested in running Shields UP! here is the address: http://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?rh1dkyd2

Scroll down a bit and choose the "All Service Ports" button. If you are running a Firewall then allow for the site's Incoming requests when your Firewall allerts you.
    Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---
    IP

Some things I want to mention about SP2;

a) default security values have changed to make the system much more secure. You can change each one of them manually in XP SP1, but let's be honest; how many of you know which values to change?

b) it's wrong to think that XP SP1 (including all the updates) is the same like XP SP2. There are more substantial differences than just a security center, popup blocker, default security values, firewall or whatever.
    At kernel level many things have changed, changes that are not included in XP SP1 (including all the patches);

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pro.../sp2netwk.mspx

Most of these are on network level, but some are related to a more robust memory protection.

c) SP2 shouldn't cause as many problems as people think. I've installed XP on many machines and haven't noticed any problems, actually the systems turned out to be more stable and even older problems were solved.

Keep in mind that it's VERY important to cancel every program that you have running, including any processes before you update an existing system! Use the task manager to get a view of which processes/applications are running that are not related to Microsoft. Only then install the update and you will have the least problems.

The best solution is to start from scratch using a slipstreamed Windows XP SP installation disc.

d) lots of problems that are related SP1 system that are updated to SP2 are related to the firewall. Disable it, because;

1) it's a Microsoft product and therefore the primary target for hackers
    2) it doesn't protect you from outbound traffic or in other words; it doesn't protect you against trojans, some of which can be part of a key logger. Be careful with that. There are much better Firewalls available than the one included in SP2; Outpost, Sygate, Zonealarm, etc.

e) Keep one other thing in mind; a Windows XP SP1 with all the 20-30 updates is LESS stable than XP SP2. It's well known that many of these single updates have introduced new problems or conflicts for lots of users. It's not without a reason that system administrators are weary of installing new updates as soon as possible, afraid that they will cause more harm than good.
    IP