Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Unable to find the filter to import that file with

Hi Rob,

I am learning something new!

Is it safe to assume that there is something in the Installer Program code or the installed software program itself, that specifically requires System Administrator? Or is it innate to the Windows OS itself? I would think it's a software program or Installer Program specific requirement, since I have never had any of the hundreds of programs I have installed previously, require System Administrator privileges to install correctly.
    "Old enough to know better... too young to resist"

It's difficult to say, I'd have to ask the team who creates the installation packages. I'm not sure what stops the registration of the DLL's either, whether a anti-virus or other security program or insufficient permissions on the account but I do know that 95% of the time right-clicking and running it as the system admin resolves it.

The system administrator starts windows up and also runs the windows installer amongst other vital services. Generally your permissions as an administrator should be suffice to install whatever is needed (and in most installations of Xara as well this is fine). Xara starts up fine but it's just when users tries to export to PDF, HTML, TIFF etc and uses one of the DLL's to do it is when it goes wrong and leads us back to the first part, the registration of the DLLs.

There has been one or two cases where DLL's couldn't be registered because of missing dependencies (c++ redist. not installed for example, this is installed alongside xara if needed) and requires repairs or re-installation of windows services, but this is very rare.

Hope this gives you some insight into the fun support gets Sorry if it's confusing, I'm only on my 1st coffee and not woken up yet.

Thanks Rob. I have a better picture of what's happening now. I just need to log the "right click" solution into my memory so I know what to donext time something like this happens! Enjoy the Java!
    "Old enough to know better... too young to resist"

No worries.

It's amazing how many problems, not just in Xara but in any program are simply permissions related.