Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Using Xara Designer and LibreOffice together

From what I understand, LO only knows a subset of the SVG standard. For instance, embedded-bitmap are not supported at all (tried with 3 different such SVGs, all of them displayed fine in Inkscape and Xara9). There might be other primitives non-supported at the moment, I don't know.

The ODT provided by mwenz looks fine on my version of LO (up-to-date, linux version), and I have no problem either with the included SVG.

I guess I'll have to wait a few more months before I can use SVG in my documents :/

Thanks guys, I appreciate your feedback !

I never drag and drop anything to any application, Egg. I also never use their Draw application. If I have any issues with any SVG file, it goes into InkScape, from their to whatever.

I'll see what happens in Draw, but it isn't an application I would ever recommend anyone use for anything. Heck, other than for writing pure text, I wouldn't recommend LO (or Word) for laying out a publication, either.

OK. I walked over to my computer. If I import the image into LO's Draw, it imports fine. If I drag and drop the image onto Draw's page, it works fine.

If I drag and drop the image onto Draw's title bar, I get what you show in your last screen shot.

Thanks for confirming that Mike. Never even heard of Libre before this post. I was only interested in this thread as I have issues with importing Xara created svg's into Video Scribe too. It just amazes me that youd expect the svg file type to be standard by now without all these issues.
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    ...It just amazes me that youd expect the svg file type to be standard by now without all these issues.
    To a written standardized like EPS? WMF? EMF? AI? CDR? DOC/DOCX?

Not only is writing the various filetypes not standardized, filters for reading them are not standardized.

Here's (part of) the thing to me. I have rarely created an SVG in XDP that InkScape cannot read, even if bitmap effects are involved. I consider InkScape the SVG standard. If a particular application (like VideoScribe, LO, etc) has difficulty reading an XDP-generated SVG but InkScape does not, then who is to fault?

I did a free course with Adobe about 2 years ago on SVG and they basically, but not in so many words, said use Inkscape and not Illustrator. In the course many of us had problems using fonts if we had used two or more in the file. Also the file sizes were much bigger in Adobe programmes and if script was not corrected our image size increased by a ration of 1:1.2 but this was in an animation application and Adobe stated that it was to do with Flash. We also found that when we were given drawings made with Inkscape very often require extra work since fairly weird coordinates may have been used when the drawing was made by the tutor to get it to render in IE. I learned a few good tips on this course and one of them I think is relevant here is the following and I have just copied and pasted this directly out of the course notes:
    "Suggested workflow (adapt to your needs) for making a typical Inkscape document web ready:
    Fit the document size to the picture size: Menu File->Document Properties. In the Custom size panel, open Resize page to content, then click Resize page to drawing or selection.
    Remove unused DEF's: File->Vacuum Defs.
    Optimize SVG': File -> Save as... -> Optimized SVG. Tick "Enable viewboxing in the save dialog. This operation will do several things, in particular, insert correct viewBox, width and height attributes.
    Remove non-standard SVG/Inkscape XML: File -> Save as... -> plain SVG (Since this operation will remove layers and other Inkscape specific information, keep a copy of the old file if necessary)."

The main thing that I took from that was to always use Save As --> Optimised SVG. and the other was to save your normal file as a copy
    Design is thinking made visual.